uv sterlizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't run one, and I'm not sure if many people do. They are supposed to kill of free floating things in the water column such as algae, bacteria, etc. If you are having problems with greenwater or disease it might help. Other than that, I don't know if it's worth the money just as a precautionary measure. There's nothing a good PWC won't do better.

--Adeeb

yeah i have slight green water ive changed 125 litres yesterday but i thought it would be best to get this to clear the water then it can be packed away and taken out when needed. hope it works

UV Sterilizers get a bad reputation because people think they are some kind of magic bullet. They stop doing water changes, or they don't quarantine or whatever.

As long as you keep up with good fishkeeping practicing they can only be a benefit. It is only when they influence you to not do what you should be doing can they have a negative effect

Yeah, there's no negative effect and if you have the money then go ahead and get one :) But like you said, it's not a magic bullet, and things like a good filter should be higher on the priority list.

--Adeeb

yeah i have the fluval 305 im just getting this to make my water crystal clear (at least i hope)

heres my tank see its a bit cloudy

37953-albums1631-picture12741.jpg

I'm testing one to combat BA & GA in my brackish tank. It seems to be helping in that everyday I scrub as much sign of either off and let the UV and my canister grab it (no I'm not going to do a PWC every time lol) and it is lessening over time even with the 12h PP.

In my research the main point I found was that if the water is moving too fast over the UV bulb, it has little effect since the exposure time is too short to do much good. So I opted for the stand alone that controls the flow over the bulb. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Killing-Machine-Internal-Sterilizer/dp/B001KP9B2W

well it looks like that because i changed 125 litres yesterday it was green before i did the water change no doubt after a few days it will look green again

just set up C02 today aswell so hopefully my plants will be greener rather than yellowish in the next few weeks

ok iv had my uv sterilizer going now for three days i have no green water and my water is the clearest i have ever seen it.
for 20 pounds i dont think you can go wrong with one of these

its a different type of sword i cant remember the name i just remember googleing it and it says its commonly called a amazon sword but it isnt lol sorry i couldnt help

tmdavies said:
its a different type of sword i cant remember the name i just remember googleing it and it says its commonly called a amazon sword but it isnt lol sorry i couldnt help

I'm just wondering if it's excel safe.. Mine melted a bit but I'm not sure if it's from the excel

shadowstars123 said:
What're those two plants? The tall ones, one in the front right and the other in the left corner,

Aren't this "Melon Swords"? Echinodorus osiris or maybe Echinodorus bleheri. The Osiris tends to keep the rounder leaves in most light, the bleheri leaves tend to elongate under higher light.

Back
Top Bottom