Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im going to a friends cabin for the fourth and staying for 4-5 days. Leaving Wednesday day and comin back mabe Saturday. My grandparents are gonna watch my dog and feed the fish witch they know how to do from hen i was in Belize. So my question is, I want to add 8 rumnynose tetras tomorrow, but i don't know if anything will go wrong when when in gone. Do you think that is ok? I can tell them what to do or call the Lfs. I really wanna get them now so i can get new fish when I get back. Will that work?

I'd just wait until you get back. Rummynose are pretty sensitive in the first few weeks and if one or two were to die while you were gone it could cause water parameter problems especially if their bodies were hard to locate. Not to mention if they carried along a disease and you weren't there to treat your tank.

Darn. I was really hoping to get them. What if I got them and acclimated them for a long time. I'd be home for 4 days then leave and be back. Any possibility ?

Certainly possible just not recommended. Would they be going straight into your 37 or into a QT first?

I'm just wondering. If i was here the whole time and got them, how would that be different that me being gone after 4 days. I mean they know how much I feed, i give them the Lfs number and they could help them. What would I do if something was wrong?

If you were home you could treat or diagnose a possible disease immediately. Or, for example, if three rummynose were to suddenly die during your trip you could handle finding their bodies and doing any necessary PWCs without putting any extra strain on your grandparents and your other fish. Not saying you can't do it, but what's the rush? It just feels like an unnecessary risk.

I am going to side with azmodan here. There are a lot that can go wrong when adding new fish.

The amount of things that can go wrong just adding fish to an established tank is huge and all the LFS is going to say is do water changes and buy heaps of our terrible over priced medicine.

Don't see any advantages in adding them now but see heaps of risk.

It's hard to wait when you want new fish isn't it Charlie? I heed the advice of the folks on here. They have helped me a lot. You won't be there to enjoy them anyway! Have fun on the 4th.-D

My problem with waiting is ive waited 7 months since my tank and i have 3 schools of fish in it. I've been really busy with school and i have baseball and hockey every day and never really have time to go get fish. And finally when I do have the time now i cant

That's just a part of being a pet owner and having a busy life -- sometimes it's hard to find the right amount of time for either. Waiting one more week or so isn't worth risking the work and patience you've put in for the past 7 months.

Back
Top Bottom