vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martiniduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going on a vacation for the first time since owning my tank. I will be gone for 6 days. What is recommended? I do not have anyone to feed the fish. Should I get a feeder, those vacation blocks, or something else?

I would do your weekly water change the day before, if possible the day when you leave, and get yourself one of those vacation blocks and you should be good!

Honestly the fish would be fine for 6 days without food, however for peace of mind you could have someone come over and feed for you. To prevent overfeeding you could put a set amount of food for each day in one of those weekly pill-holders. I have had huge issues with vacation blocks, I do not recommend them.

Well, your fish will be ok without food for 6 days, just like you will, but wouldn't you be hungry?
I think that the blocks are good, but up to you, those pill holders are a pretty good option too

Well, your fish will be ok without food for 6 days, just like you will, but wouldn't you be hungry?
I think that the blocks are good, but up to you, those pill holders are a pretty good option too

That's not exactly the best argument, since the nutrition needs of humans and fish are quite different. Once a day is the norm feeding schedule for fish, whereas if we only ate one meal a day we would be pretty hungry and depending on the meal size would probably be malnourished.

As for the blocks, the main issue that I've had is all that food sitting in the tank causes mega algae issues and or/ammonia spikes. If I need my fish to be fed while I'm gone, I just get someone to do it daily or every other day.

True about the algae, I've had that too

Well, it would be like a human skipping six meals, so not eating for two days

I am going on a vacation for the first time since owning my tank. I will be gone for 6 days. What is recommended? I do not have anyone to feed the fish. Should I get a feeder, those vacation blocks, or something else?

As long as your tank is established, don't even bother worrying ... Feed then a PWC the day before and you should be fine ... barring you have some exotic fish that absolutely require daily feeding and maintenance.

I've gone through several 4-7 day trips and your tank should be as you left it when you return. Feed and do a PWC as normal.

Enjoy your vacation.(y)

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will feed them right before I leave. I don't know if I trust those feeders or blocks. I hope they will be ok. Now if I could only do that for my dog it would save me a ton of money at the Kennel. :)

I just got back from a week long vacation. The joy of having family near by! My sister came and fed my fish (i have 4 tanks) and my mom kept my indoor dog. Couldnt board him i cpuldnt have left him he is a big baby. Let me know how it worked out!

Back
Top Bottom