Vacation and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 36G bowfront tank with several fish in it. I typically do 10 gal water changes a week. Problem is I will be going on vacation and will be out of town for 16 days. The person that will be dropping in to feed the cats and such will not be able to do water changes and will likely have issues with feeding fish in general. Looking for suggestions on what to do. If I do a larger water change before I go will this hold them for a couple weeks? What are some good feeding options?

Thanks

Yes, do a larger change--50% a couple of days before you leave. Your fish can go a week or more without food. You could measure out what you normally feed for two feedings and put it in baggies. Leave directions for your helper to feed them only what's in the bag on days five and ten. The fish not eating will help in keeping the nitrates at safe levels. I would, however, have your helper check the temperature each day and look for dead fish. Leave a net handy, too. I have a neighbor who does it for me when I'm on gone for more than four days.

I've never used one because I don't trust them and have read bad reviews. Others may chime in, but I do know that leaving your fish without food for even a week will not hurt them one bit. It happens in nature all the time. If you trust your cat sitter to just check the temp (and call you if something is amiss) they should be able to handle feeding them once with your pre-measured food. Don't sweat it; enjoy your vacation. Fish don't need to be fed as often as we think (or do it).

Severum Mama has a good idea for having pre-portioned food ready. Use those weekly pill boxes and have it filled with the exact amount of food needed for each day. They're pretty cheap, I use them for my meds, just get three of them, fill them with the amount of food needed and you'd be set.

Hello flatty,
As stated above the pill box idea works great It is the method I use for my tank sitter as I am always out of town for weeks at a time. The person that drops in for me does not do water changes as I trust this only to myself, I simply have them add water to the tank if needed and double check the tank for possible leaks, sick fish etc. My tank has currently gone 3 weeks without a water change and still has another 6 days before I will be able to return home, as of this morning my sitter tells me my fish are happy and well.

I guess I can explore that option. I had already saddled a neighbor with feeding cats and little box changes I was hoping one of the auto feeders would work so I didn't have to give her a laundry list of things to do.

Vacation Tak Keeping

I have a 36G bowfront tank with several fish in it. I typically do 10 gal water changes a week. Problem is I will be going on vacation and will be out of town for 16 days. The person that will be dropping in to feed the cats and such will not be able to do water changes and will likely have issues with feeding fish in general. Looking for suggestions on what to do. If I do a larger water change before I go will this hold them for a couple weeks? What are some good feeding options?

Thanks

Hello flatty...

This isn't a big problem. Here's what you do: 2 to 3 weeks before you leave, you start feeding the fish a little more and a little more often. A day or 2 before you leave, you stop all feeding and do a 50 percent water change. Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food.

You're smart not to let someone else feed your fish. They can certainly check to make sure things are running and the water temperature is okay, but I wouldn't let someone else feed. So, the fish live off their small fat reserve while you're gone and you come home to a clean tank.

B

Increased feeding prior to will not serve a purpose. If possible, I'd recommend that you arrange for someone to come 2 or 3 times while you're gone. Have portioned food (go light) ready in pill boxes or ziplocs taped to each tank. As mentioned, fish can survive fine for stretches without food. I wouldn't go past 7 days if avoidable myself though. They can get weaker and there for more susceptible to disease.

ok seems general consensus is to avoid autofeeder and just use some set out portions so I will have to have a conversation with my neighbor to see if she feels kosher doing that

Thanks

Have the feeding person feed small amounts to your fish every three days or so, healthy fish can go for days without food.

Back
Top Bottom