Vacation, and freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mab2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone.
I have a 10 gallon tank and I am getting ready to go on vacation. I brought a pyramid feeder that is supposed to last for 7-8 days. I did a good cleaning of the tank yesterday with about a 20 % water change. My tank is planted so I bought an automatic timer to turn my light on and off. Is there anything I am forgetting? I would hate to come back to find a tank full of dead fish.

I'd do a water change the day u leave like 40-50% and if the pyramid feeder works as it should and don't increase ammonia and such you should be fine IMO.

I'd do a water change the day u leave like 40-50% and if the pyramid feeder works as it should and don't increase ammonia and such you should be fine IMO.

I am hoping it does. It took so long to cycle this tank it would be a shame if the feeder didn't work right. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The fish can live fine for a week without food, assuming they are well-fed and healthy as is. Pyramid feeders nearly always cause more trouble than they help. I Would just feed well leading up to leaving, do a good WC, and let them fast until you return.

MrPillow said:
The fish can live fine for a week without food, assuming they are well-fed and healthy as is. Pyramid feeders nearly always cause more trouble than they help. I Would just feed well leading up to leaving, do a good WC, and let them fast until you return.

+1 there is no need to use the vacation feeder. It will most likely just foul your tank. You fish will be fine for a week.

+1

Get that thing out of there, it's a danger to the health of your fish. Even auto feeders overfeed (judging by my husband's). He ended up removing it.

Please do not use a pyramid feeder! I used one for when I went away on vacation and I returned home to Blue green algae, green water, and lost 2 fish because of it. Perfectly healthy tank before that dreaded pyramid, and its taken 2 months to get back to normal.

+1

Get that thing out of there, it's a danger to the health of your fish. Even auto feeders overfeed (judging by my husband's). He ended up removing it.

So my fish will be okay if they don't eat for week?

Feed them the usual amount on the day you leave, but no extra. They will be more than fine and the tank will be clean when you get home.

So mab. Did your fish survive the week? I was going to go with the pyramid too, But I will trust these online advisors and let them fast

So mab. Did your fish survive the week? I was going to go with the pyramid too, But I will trust these online advisors and let them fast

I took the feeder out and they where all alive and waiting to be fed when I got home. As usual, great advice from this site saved my tank

Back
Top Bottom