Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Vacation, and freshwater

Hi everyone.
I have a 10 gallon tank and I am getting ready to go on vacation. I brought a pyramid feeder that is supposed to last for 7-8 days. I did a good cleaning of the tank yesterday with about a 20 % water change. My tank is planted so I bought an automatic timer to turn my light on and off. Is there anything I am forgetting? I would hate to come back to find a tank full of dead fish.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd do a water change the day u leave like 40-50% and if the pyramid feeder works as it should and don't increase ammonia and such you should be fine IMO.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmyed9 View Post
I'd do a water change the day u leave like 40-50% and if the pyramid feeder works as it should and don't increase ammonia and such you should be fine IMO.
I am hoping it does. It took so long to cycle this tank it would be a shame if the feeder didn't work right. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

The fish can live fine for a week without food, assuming they are well-fed and healthy as is. Pyramid feeders nearly always cause more trouble than they help. I Would just feed well leading up to leaving, do a good WC, and let them fast until you return.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow
The fish can live fine for a week without food, assuming they are well-fed and healthy as is. Pyramid feeders nearly always cause more trouble than they help. I Would just feed well leading up to leaving, do a good WC, and let them fast until you return.
+1 there is no need to use the vacation feeder. It will most likely just foul your tank. You fish will be fine for a week.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow View Post
+1

Get that thing out of there, it's a danger to the health of your fish. Even auto feeders overfeed (judging by my husband's). He ended up removing it.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Please do not use a pyramid feeder! I used one for when I went away on vacation and I returned home to Blue green algae, green water, and lost 2 fish because of it. Perfectly healthy tank before that dreaded pyramid, and its taken 2 months to get back to normal.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
+1

Get that thing out of there, it's a danger to the health of your fish. Even auto feeders overfeed (judging by my husband's). He ended up removing it.
So my fish will be okay if they don't eat for week?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

If they are healthy now, and your tank is healthy as well, a week without food is no problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feed them the usual amount on the day you leave, but no extra. They will be more than fine and the tank will be clean when you get home.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freshwater, vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com