Vacation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a planted 20g tank with low light only plants. I will be gone for three days. I don't have a timer. Lights on or off?

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can I hijack this thread since OP question is answered? What if your going to be gone for two weeks? I have 5 tanks, and no one I know keeps fish. Three are planted and only two are on the same power supply, so timer will not work.

Can I hijack this thread since OP question is answered? What if your going to be gone for two weeks? I have 5 tanks, and no one I know keeps fish. Three are planted and only two are on the same power supply, so timer will not work.

Surge protector + timer won't work?

OP: yup, leaving them off will be fine

:eek: If I found one for $3 I would buy it in a heartbeat! Where do you find such deals?! They sell them for $20 cheapest here

If your in the US, try Walmart or any home improvement type store in the electrical/lighting section. Non-digital timers run under $5 and are very simple to use. Set it, plug it into any outlet and plug your light into the timer. Digital ones run $15 (on up) but the simple ones work just fine. Just make sure the timer has the appropriate outlet for your light (2 or 3 prong). :)

$5 at Home-Depot. Awesome! Hopefully the fish-fund will have enough for two before vacation time arrives. Still have the feeding problem and WC's

Same here, 5 bucks for timer. Not to worry if your going away for a couple of days, shut the lights off, it might even be good to get rid of some algae.

Well it will be around 14 days and I'm worried because many of my plants were "almost deads" that came in a 20 gallon I bought, so they have one or two baby leaves and that's all. And though I know fish can go a day or two without food I feel 14 might be too long. Am I correct? And what about water changes? I can do a big one on all before I leave, but I would be going twice as long without doing one during vacation.

Most fish can easily go 1+ weeks without food (assuming they are not fry). I've gone on vacation for 2+ weeks and just had someone pop in once to feed them a normal amount. I skipped the PWC during this time too as my tanks are heavily planted and not overly stocked. The PWC would depend on the individual tank though.

No fry, but baby RCS in one tank. none of my tanks are heavily planted, almost all are lightly planted though. They are all slightly understocked IMO

Back
Top Bottom