Vacation time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadownova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going on vacation soon:brows: and I'm wondering what will happen to my fish:fish1:. I will be gone for ten days. I have a Pleco, a betta, four harlies, two mystery snails, and two Cory cats.
Any help will be appreciated!:lol:
-Nova

I would suggest an automatic feeder, i'm leaving in 48 for a week, i have a nice one from petsmart, their brand. Its cheaply made, but has a lifetime guarantee.

10 days? Do you have a trustworthy neighbor?
If so, what I do is seperate feedings into little Tupperwares. So easy, my four year old neighbor can do it. (y)

I don't want to buy anything more and if it is cheaply made I don't want it to break on vacation

Shadownova said:
I don't want to buy anything more and if it is cheaply made I don't want it to break on vacation

If you have a house sitter get a pill box for weekly medication and put what you'll feed for each day and the last three will be fine without feedings

Auto feeder

I had my last Petsmart feeder for 3 years or more before it finally bit the dust, I only say cheaply made because if your rough with it, it will break. I've had no problems with mine, You could have a neighbor feed them. Like the other posters say, I just don't have any neighbors I could trust a key to. Thats why I like my feeder, heck sometimes I have it on the tank when I'm not on vacation. I get a little busy, and I like them to have a stable schedule. If you don't have a pill box, mouthwash cups, Plastic sandwich bags, work also. I suggest the vacation feeder though.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/went-on-vacation-and-the-tank-died-214200.html

Just make sure this doesn't happen!! This is member that also went on vacation and a pet sitter taking care of the tank.

What about those seven day feeders? How many would I need for my little fishies?

Shadownova said:
What about those seven day feeders? How many would I need for my little fishies?

Steer clear. Beware the feeder blocks! I HIGHLY recommend against this, your fish are better off not eating at all.

christine2012 said:
Steer clear. Beware the feeder blocks! I HIGHLY recommend against this, your fish are better off not eating at all.

Could you explain why? I hear they are messy and i know that they are bad but my parents bought a bunch for our weeklong vacation next month.id like to have a reason other than " they are messy" lol ( cant really find stuff online because they say "you found it online it must be false or fake" but look what the internet has taught me!

I found some reviews on them and it has five stars. How many would I need?

I too don't like the blocks. They dissolve too quick or not enough. Just a messy block of nothing. Buy a feeder! It'll be ur best bet; more reliable in the dosing.

I also don't recommend them they sink to the bottom of the tank and the fish don't even eat them. They make a mess then start to decompose which causes an ammonia spike thus dead fish and a mess to clean up when you get back. I know from experience I came back to an absolute disaster more than one.

I don't want your opinion I want to know how many I would need to feed my fish for ten days.

Shadownova said:
I don't want your opinion I want to know how many I would need to feed my fish for ten days.

Our opinions is what you were looking for when you started this thread. And if your going to use the feeder blocks then the dosage is on the box.

I meant the automatic feeder, not those nasty feeder pyramids. The blocks will kill your fish, Cloud your water, and leave a lovely slimey film all over your glass and substrate, I used a half of one for a week away and came back to that and a tank full of dead fish. It took me 2 hours of cleaning to clean it up, plus bleach. I had to throw out all my substrate. If you use one, I'd use the gel one. But you were warned!

Shadownova said:
I found some reviews on them and it has five stars. How many would I need?

Just out of curiosity which ones have good reviews. And when you come back let us know if you come back to a disaster or not.

Back
Top Bottom