Vacuuming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125gallon with a sand bottom. I was wondering what the best recommendation would be for vacuuming the bottom. Right now i just have the siphon and it pulls so much sand with it. I have been using my dads electric one. Any suggestions. I need something real effcient, the fish i got in the tank produce alot of waste.

How long has the sand been in the tank? After awhile, the sand will settle and "stick" together. I use a siphon vac and run it gently over the sand's surface, the crud comes out and the sand stays--works great :wink:

I also use a siphon. I put it quite close to the surface of the sand (but not close enough for it to pick up any sand), and it sucks up any debris laying on the bottom.

What kind of sand do you have? Is it the extra fine stuff? If so, it's gonna be a little trickier, but it is still do-able.

Some bottom dwellers will do that for you. Depends on what you have. My cories stir the sand up all the time searching for food.

Be careful on how much area you actually vacuum. I suggest for a tanl that size, maybe dividing the surface into 3 equal segments, and alternate vacumming those areas on each water change/vacuum.

I wouldn't vacuum the entire surface at one time, as it can disturb/shock the bacteria and you may end up getting cloudy tank, or cycle spikes as the bacteria tries to re-establish itself.

Yea I think I am going to go with the extension on my paps vacuum, its just alot easier and doesnt suck as much sand up with it. I have vacuumed the whole tank many of times and have not had a spike or rise in my nitrate/nitrite and ammonia levels. But thanks for the advice, i will definitely think about that next time i clean. It just that with the sand bottom i have its extra fine and all the waste just sits on top. I used 150 lbs of sand, I made a peppered bottom. I find myself cleanin the tank once a day.

Personally, I vacuum the whole bottom--all decor comes out and it's serious vacuuming time! As long as your filters are fully stocked with bacteria, there shound not be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom