Vacuuming gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since I just performed my first gravel vacuuming in my new tank I ran into the problem that the rocks, decorations, and plants (live and plastic) are on the way. How do you guys address this issue? Do you vacuum around those, do you remove them, vacuum and replace them? Please share. :?

I just vacuum around them. You are just trying to get the surface crud off. And if you have live plants they will want all that nasty stuff to help them grow. The only time I take a decoration out is if it is too covered in algae and needs a good scrubbing.

tkos said:
I just vacuum around them. You are just trying to get the surface crud off. And if you have live plants they will want all that nasty stuff to help them grow. The only time I take a decoration out is if it is too covered in algae and needs a good scrubbing.

exactly...you're only trying to get rid of the excees crud on the gravel bed.....cuz too much of that stuff can lead to misery down the road (ammonia spikes, among others).

but yah..plants love that stuff, and NEVER take your plants out.....you'll disturb/destroy the root structure...and that is no good!...the plant may live, but it might totally stunt the growth.

Zach.

captainGregor said:
Do you vacuum around those, do you remove them, vacuum and replace them? Please share. :?
Personally, yes. You will be surprised what gets underneath them. Therefore I suggest that if you can clean under any ornament then do so.

I lift out the driftwood and the ornament once a month but not at the same time and give underneath them a good clean up when I do my weekly water changes.

EDIT. leave the real plants

That's true. I do move the decorations that aren't living occassionaly, but not once a month. Once every 6 months for me probably.

I understand about the live plants - it is obvious not to touch them. I only have one - Nymphoides (the Banana Plant) that I inherited from old plastic tank. Despite the fact that it supposedly requires bright light or shallow tank, it grows in my 55 showtank! It feels great and grows leaves and all I have are 2 crappy standard-issue 18" 15W bulbs. Go figure.

As far as cleaning, i got a bunch of rocks and some driftwood, so I guess I would need to move them :( when I do monthly cleaning. Thank you guys, and Sati - you got one big cat!

When I move my decorations, I tip them aside slightly and aim the syphon under them, but don't usually remove them completely. I have shrimp in my sand substrate tank and it is unreal how much shrimp poop there is! That stuff gets under everything. Don't be TOO vigorous stirring up your gravel, as you can have a nitrAte spike this way (speaking from experience.. :oops: ) so take it relatively easy!

I used to vaccum regularly (once a month) but ever since I started growing live plants now its like every 4 months. I never move big rocks or plants (even plastic). Just a gentle overall. Another thing. Never vacum your whole tank if you vacum (what's the right spelling) often. Always do one half of your tank, the next time do the other half.

Never vacum your whole tank if you vacum (what's the right spelling) often. Always do one half of your tank, the next time do the other half.
That is good advice - I have made that mistake before.

I vaccum my tanks every week, both the 55g and the planted 10g, completely.

If I didn't, the plec poo in the 55g, and the oto poo in the planted 10g, would overtake the tanks! The plants don't seem to suffer for it; then again I have a laterite substrate, CO2 diffusion and add ferts. Also, I run bio-wheels on all my tanks; I can vaccum the gravel as often as I like and the tanks don't spike nitrogenous waste as the bio-wheels are carrying much of my nitrifying bacteria. If you don't run bio-wheels tho, half the tank is recommended.

I have 3 biowheels. I have Emperor 400 that has 2 huge biowheels. I also have Marineland Pro-30 which is a biowheel that is powered by a spraybar and powerhead. So I got plenty of bacteria space. My otos do not do well I think. Since they are active nocturnal species, I do not see when they eat, and all the algae wafers that go in the tank get destroyed by barbs and danios. Otos look kind of sad. I will most definitely vacuum every week, when I change water, just like you recommend. By the way, do you recommend having Nitrate test? My AP test kit does not have any and I would not know when my cycle is done :?

Yep; if you can't get a nitrate test at a lfs, order one online. Don't do a complete gravel vac until you can be sure the tank is completely cycled (which is why you need that nitrate test).

My otos eat and are active all day long. I don't think they got the nocturnal memo ;) However, they were not added to my tank until it was well cycled and had a heavy growth of algae.

Unfortunately otos do not do well in immature tanks. They really need a supply of fresh algae along with the algae wafers to be happy n healthy. You could take one of the decorations, stick it in a small tank or brand new, clean tupperware container and set it in the sun for a few days. You should see some algae growth on it, and when you do, put it back in the tank and remove a diff piece of decor to do the same thing. This way your otos will have their supply of algae. Also, (if you aren't already) put the algae wafers in after you turn the tank lights off. It may give the otos a chance to get at em. I also break mine up into a coupla pieces, so the other fish go after some but not all.

Yeah, I never feed algae wafers when it's light in the tank. The guppies and platy go nuts on them if I do. I drop them at night and the pleco, and upside down catfish always grab right on while the other fish don't notice, heh.

Ok, I just finally read the end of this thread. I put my otos in earlier today, and they have been going at the brown algae on my tank glass like crazy. It's amazing how much clearer the glass is now. I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow.

So I couldn't wait any longer and I dropped a couple of algae wafers in. Geez, the poor otos and cories didn't get a chance! The platies and mollies were having a feeding frenzy on them, insane. The remaining fry in the tank had a little party--all of a sudden they came out of the plants and were swimming all over, I guess feeling safe since all the big fish were at the bottom fighting for the algae wafer.

Also, since I put the otos in, the other fish have seemed to discover the algae on the glass, and have been trying to eat that, too. It's very weird. I was worrying that the big male molly was going to damage his lips or something, the way he was banging at the glass to suck up the algae!

Alli, thank you for the advice with the "just add water" algae technique!
My barbs and danios totally have a party when wafers go in. They turn the music on and get it going. Regardless that I sneak into the room in a complete darkness and after running into couch and hitting my head on something manage to put 2-3 wafers into the tank quietly ( :wink: ) they could still find it. Poor otos without algae feel the blues. I read on www.skepticalaquarist.com (thanks Alli for the link somewhere) that you should leave the veggies longer in the tank - and viola, they start to nibble on it on second or third day. Otos also get a piece of action. They are so cute. Since I am planning to replace the whole crew with angels, loaches, and some livebearers, I do not know what to do with barbs and danios. Do you think the LFS will take them back?

Hey capn, welcome back. glad to hear it up. The chains will not take those back! fishbowl and aquatic critter will give you 50% store credit on them, MAYBE. Depends on thier stock. How many do you have? Maybe I can give you 50%.

You see it on my signature, Scott. I have 6 zebras, 4 rozy, 2 golden barbs and 2 cherry barbs. Maybe we can trade? I am looking for maybe some pretty platys or mollies, and yoyo loaches. I am sure you do not want to trade your YoYo, but maybe some platys or mollies?

Back
Top Bottom