Vacuuming question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you work around your plants and decorations?

1) Do you leave them where they are and try to vac the open areas?
2) Do you take them all out then put them back in?
3) Do you just shift things around in there so you can do one side at a time?

Send your tips please!

If you only vacuum 25-50% of the tank at a time, you can do a good job in the open areas. Occassionally, everything comes out of my tank, if I have to catch a sly one, and then I vacuum. If your plants are nicely rooted down, you will be able to get close to the plants without disturbing them

We normally take all of our plants out and set them aside in a bucket. This has made it easier for us to pick up most of the fish waste because it tends to fall next to our plants. Plus, we like to "redecorate" at each water change.

same here... I only take out all my plants when I'm redoing the interior design or catching a fish. otherwise I just do my best around the plants that I can and don't worry about it.

I've got plastic plants, so they all come out during water changes just to make sure I get every last bit of waste that I can.

I do water changes 1 or 2 times a week vaccuming 50% of the bottom or so throughly and lightly vaccuming the rest while working around the rocks, plants, etc until the end of the month. At the end of the month I shuffle things around and vaccum under neath everything. So the tank gets redesigned monthly.

I just jam the vaccuum in and around the plastic plants, making sure no fish are hiding there first. sometimes the plant gets moved, sometimes the base just gets pushed in a little further. When removing plants to clean them, then I will really go to town with the vaccuum before putting them back in.

I vac around them with my python. About once a month, I use a 1 inch diameter vac to get around the live plants without much damage. On occasion, I lift the rocks and wood to get under them. :D

Its easiest if you remove all the plants and decorations. But make sure you do not take out to much fish waste or the tank may cycle, causing the fish to get sick and die.

Back
Top Bottom