vampire crab care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay,heres the facts,im looking to setup a vampire crab palaudarium,ive got(technically its not mine,but my mom will let me use it)a big aquarium,i think its something like 70 gallons,but im not sure,but i know its big enough.i will set it up half land,half water,and put 3 crabs in it,and was wondering what i could put in with them.i know they have no larval stage,but is there anything i need to know about there breeding habits?i would like to breed them.please include anything else you think i need to know,every bit of info helps.

also,if i have a heater do i need a basking light?

Huuuge!

Hey mate,

Just thought I'd put my oar in, I'm also considering a paludarium conversion with an old fish tank, but mine is 70 litres rather than gallons! I've never kept vamps although I've had RCCs before, but that's exceptionally large for 3 crabs as far as I can tell from what I've read.

In one forum I've seen someone has 50 vamps in 65 gallons. (Vampire Crabs - Gecko Resource Forums)

Up to you, but if you're looking for 3 I'd be tempted to keep the big tank and use it for something larger scale, and get a little tank for your vamps.
Having said that, if you're breeding them, you'd be able to keep all the offspring! I think they give birth to about 10 live crabs every 6 months.

I've seen lots of forum posts saying they're not difficult to breed, so good luck, let me know how it goes :)

B

Back
Top Bottom