Vampire shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody here ever keep these? I can't find any info if they are fresh or brackish water. All i've read is that theier babies need brackish water but that's about it.

I only found one site that claims that they are a freshwater shrimp from africa Attya Gabonese. There sure doesn't seem to be alot of available info on them.

Hey, I've found something on a very good German page.

Here's the translation:
Atya Gabonensis
(Westafrica and northeastern Southamerica)

Gender dimorphism: the female have all leg-pairs the same size, male have the front pair larger

Size: male up to 10cm, female up to 7cm

Temp.: around 24 degrees Celsius

Water: around 7ph, harder water (around 20dgH)

Tank: min.20" long

Likes dark corners to hide, food is everything fishes eat too.

Community: with all small and middle size fishes

Hope that'll help :wink: .

oh, i can get bamboo shrimp for around 6$, but only 1 store has the vampires. pretty cool blue, but those are suppose to get huge. like vampire shrimp=kind you eat in like asia and stuff. MONSTROUS

Nice info Tiffi it is all correct.

When they are very small (one inch) the are red for some reason... Then after one molt they're a very dark blue.... And when they get around 5 inchs they are an awesome electric blue (just like the crayfish).

They are $15 each here. All filter feeders are $15, so my bamboo was $15 along with my two vampires, but it isn't that bad when I get like $12 store credit every couple weeks from selling them hornwort....grows insanely fast.

These pics, I think, show why there is so much vampire shrimp love going on here:

Attachments

• vampire_shrimp_01.jpg
    vampire_shrimp_01.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 86
  • fw1055758264_293.jpeg
    fw1055758264_293.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom