Veggies for your fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I keep reading about folks giving their fish veggies - what veggies are safe to give, how do you prepare them and how do you "serve" them?

I blanch zucchini for our fish, shrimps, and crayfish. I buy the bagged frozen stuff, take out a few slices, drop it in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, drain then let it cool in a cup of dechlorinated water. For the fish and shrimp I just drop it in the tank, for the crayfish I use my tongs to feed them. Darn little things like to hold fingers with their claws and pull the food to their mouths, that friggin hurts! ;)

Zucchini and cucumber are the ones I hear about most. Blanch them, and do what Dragon said.

Another thing some people use to deal with fishie constipation is shelled peas.

do you need to blanch anthing you give them? do you boil them on the stove or nuke them?

You need to blanch them to make them soft enough to eat. I feed blanched spinach and zuichini.

I think you can boil them or nuke them. I think if you do the peas you have to take the shell off of them before feeding. I also read of people using veggie clips to feed the fish as well.

could not find frozen zukes, so got some peas - might be dinner for the fishies tonight. I'll have to keep an eye out for zukes.

Back
Top Bottom