Veggies for your fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAwrangler08

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I am a bit confused with this. I see veggie clips for INSIDE your tank, and I have heard about putting zucchini and shelled peas in your tank for food for your fish? Can someone explain the reasoning behind this and what exactly you do, please? Do you throw a bunch of slices of zucchini in? Or a handful of shelled peas?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

-Blair

I feed my silver dollars frozen peas and spinach, funny watching them suck up the peas. I also feed zucchini to sae's. I just cut in half and rubber band to a rock. They tunnel right through.

Would these benefit any of the following?
Polka dot cat
Rapheal cat
Bumble cat
Banded leporinus
Gold gourami
Blue gourami
Kissing gourami
Tiger barbs
Cardinal tetras
Mollies
Platys
Blood parrot cichlid
Chinese algae eater
Rainbow shark

Some of your fish would enjoy veggies, especially the mollies. I use blanched zucchini on my veggie clips. I cut three 3/8" or slightly thicker slices, lay them on a paper towel and pop them in the microwave for 7 seconds. I then rinse them under cold water and put once slice on each clip and put them mid way down the glass.

For pea's I add a small amount of frozen pea's into a cup of water and microwave for a couple minutes. I let them sit in the hot water for about 15 minutes then drain off the water. Next I sit and pop the pea's out of their outer shell. I slightly smush a couple pea's at a time between my fingers before adding them to the tank.

It may take time for some fish to learn to eat the veggies but most all of my fish will eat them now.

My bettas are the only ones who like the veggies. They don't care for blanched spinach, but they love the shelled peas and blanched zucchini.

Some of your fish would enjoy veggies, especially the mollies. I use blanched zucchini on my veggie clips. I cut three 3/8" or slightly thicker slices, lay them on a paper towel and pop them in the microwave for 7 seconds. I then rinse them under cold water and put once slice on each clip and put them mid way down the glass. For pea's I add a small amount of frozen pea's into a cup of water and microwave for a couple minutes. I let them sit in the hot water for about 15 minutes then drain off the water. Next I sit and pop the pea's out of their outer shell. I slightly smush a couple pea's at a time between my fingers before adding them to the tank. It may take time for some fish to learn to eat the veggies but most all of my fish will eat them now.

How long do you leave them in there for? Besides the obvious until they are eaten, if you left them in there for much longer than that would it do anything to the water?

All my fish like zucchini. I don't blanch it, I use organic raw and there is never any left to remove. Cucumber a hit too. :)

How long do you leave them in there for? Besides the obvious until they are eaten, if you left them in there for much longer than that would it do anything to the water?

Pea's are always eaten but I leave the zucchini clips up from morning feeding time to the next day's morning feeding time unless the clips are cleaned off. No more than 24 hours tho as the zucchini goes to mush. I also use plain Dawn dishwashing soap to wash the zucchini to remove anything from the skin, cut off the ends, and make slices off that. I leave the skin on as my Longfin BNP and some of the Oto's really like the skin.

Ok. Guess I'll have to try it, maybe they won't munch on my plants as much hahaha.

That is exactly why I feed veggies! If not my 12 angels, cherry barbs, and a couple other fish eat on my more tender plants in order to get their greens. I rarely ever have issues with plant nibbling anymore.

That is exactly why I feed veggies! If not my 12 angels, cherry barbs, and a couple other fish eat on my more tender plants in order to get their greens. I rarely ever have issues with plant nibbling anymore.

SOLD!!!!! I will do peas and zucchini. How often do you feed them each?

I add the zucchini slices daily as I also have 3 different species of whiptail cats, a BNP, and oto's. My angelicus and red lizard loaches also nibble on it. Then I do the cooked, deshelled pea's, slight smushed every other day. You don't need a ton of them and only add 1 or 2 smushed pea's at a time as often the fish have to learn they are indeed food.

I add the zucchini slices daily as I also have 3 different species of whiptail cats, a BNP, and oto's. My angelicus and red lizard loaches also nibble on it. Then I do the cooked, deshelled pea's, slight smushed every other day. You don't need a ton of them and only add 1 or 2 smushed pea's at a time as often the fish have to learn they are indeed food.

Do ohio still feed regular food too? i.e flakes, frozen blood worms, freeze dried worms?

I feed their regular food daily and on pea day's just feed a touch less regular food and then their few smushed peas. The zucchini slices get hung on veggie clips on the glass and I don't count them towards their normal daily food. I also hang the zucchini on the glass at the morning feeding and remove it the next morning when I add fresh. Depending on the amount of fish you need to feed you might only need one good slice daily. In my 220g with so many fish I use 3 zucchini slices daily.

I feed their regular food daily and on pea day's just feed a touch less regular food and then their few smushed peas. The zucchini slices get hung on veggie clips on the glass and I don't count them towards their normal daily food. I also hang the zucchini on the glass at the morning feeding and remove it the next morning when I add fresh. Depending on the amount of fish you need to feed you might only need one good slice daily. In my 220g with so many fish I use 3 zucchini slices daily.

Ok. I think I'm up to 36 in my 120g. Currently I only feed them every other day. And the bottom dwellers only 2 or 3 times a week.

I give my cichlids cucumber, they love it. I have them already pre cut and in my freezer. When I get it to them I just microwave it so that it gets nice and soft and drop it into the tank. They usually eat it within a few hours or so.

I've never just dropped a frozen one in, I did think about doing it over the summer when it was very hot outside.

I have put some in freshly cut without cooking it first. They seemed to like that as well.

Back
Top Bottom