Vegtable supplement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have been attempting to supplement my fishes diet with fresh vegies but I do seem to be having any luck. So far I have tried zucchini, cucumbers and lettuce all of which have I allowed to stay in tank overnight but none of my fish including my silver dollar :blink: are it them. Any helpful hints or tips?

Try peas. Microwave frozen peas for about a minute to soften them. Then remove the harder outer layer and feed them the two softer pieces inside. They love it!

Try peas. Microwave frozen peas for about a minute to soften them. Then remove the harder outer layer and feed them the two softer pieces inside. They love it!

Thanks for the tip I will give it a try today, should I secure them or just let them sink/float?

I just drop in the pieces. I forgot to mention to let them cool off before putting them in the tank. You may want to slightly squish the halves to make it easier for them to bite. Hope your fish like it as much as mine.

Hello Huro...

I feed minced garlic from a company called Spice World. No additives, just garlic and water. Minced is very fine and a half teaspoon of the bits dropped into the tank will provide a good source of vitamins and is a natural antibiotic. My fish love it.

B

Hello Huro...

I feed minced garlic from a company called Spice World. No additives, just garlic and water. Minced is very fine and a half teaspoon of the bits dropped into the tank will provide a good source of vitamins and is a natural antibiotic. My fish love it.

B

Thanks, I will have to try that have plenty of minced garlic in my fridge

OK guys, so I must be doing something wrong because none of my fish will touch veggies, I have tried sugar snap peas, lettuce, cucumbers, and zucchini so far with no results. I use a wooden skewer to hold my veggies down and have left them for 24 hours with the exception of the peas and my fish could care less. Should I be blanching them or freezing them first, and is it possible the skewer is turning them off, what am I doing wrong?......I am finding this very irritating especially with my silver dollar "Buck" who I feel at this point is doing it on purpose considering he did not hesitate to massacre plants all of my plants at one point.

Are you sure you don't have "cat"fish? They seem rather finicky. :).

At this point I don't have any more suggestions. My Mollies and Platties go nuts for the peas. I hope you can get help from someone on this forum.

Sometimes fish can be weary of new stuff. Sooner or later one of them will be brave enough to try it, and then the others will see that its safe and join in. That seems to happen to me the first time or two I feed something new.

Try broccoli florets cooked until soft enough to tear easily. Skewer the stems so they sink and don't make a huge mess. Broccoli has a strong smell that most fish find enticing. Tangerine segments in plain juice (not syrup) are also well liked. And, yes, blanch or parboil veggies so they are soft enough for fish to nibble on easily. :)

Well ... Our doctor said to get our toddler to eat his veggies he had to be presented with them 7 times before he'd be likely to eat them ... One veggie 7 times in a row, even starting by boiling rice in water leftover from cooking broccoli.

So ... I wonder about giving just one veggie repeatedly and eventually they will try it?

Well ... Our doctor said to get our toddler to eat his veggies he had to be presented with them 7 times before he'd be likely to eat them ... One veggie 7 times in a row, even starting by boiling rice in water leftover from cooking broccoli.

So ... I wonder about giving just one veggie repeatedly and eventually they will try it?

I hoping they will, I am trying every day using the great advice I have received here. So far I haven't had any positive results but will continue trying to supplement their diet.

Back
Top Bottom