very aggressive tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bear78

Aquarium Advice Regular
i had 5 tigers in a 10 gal tank. There is 1 that is very aggressive and has now killed 2 of my tigers i have moved him to a breeder net until i can get the other tank cycled. or should i just let him loose w/the other 2?

I'm not sure about that. I would imagine that leaving him in the breeder net would really stress him out, especially if he was used to having the run of the tank. I would stick him back in the main tank, and just make sure that you have plenty of places for the others to hide.

Sorry, but that's all I have. Good luck. :roll:

having tiger barbs could be the problem,,,,,,,,,,ooooo sorry did i say that out loud? :mrgreen: ,, they are so cool to watch but i could never figure the aggresive reasoning people said i need 6 or more 3 or less , can you trade in mr robato for another?

different people have different views on the amount of fish per gallon of water. i have had many different fish in many different size tanks and there is honestly no right or wrong answer. it all depends on the setup of the tank. in my case having 5 tigers in a small school was not the problem. having 4 males to 1 female is. at least im sure its female. they r just trying to prove who would be the dom. male to breed. i have found this out today after releasing the aggressor back into the main tank due to the stress the breeder net was putting him under. (you r right Devilishturtles) while he was in the net i did observe his behavior and the other 2. what i have found is that the female swims dorsal fin down and her coloring is not as bright, the others have a very bright red ridges on dorsal fin to the mouth, and is very shy not really doin much. the free male would aggressively try to attack through the breeder net to prove dom. well ive got PLENTY of places for them to hide if the choose too. i guess im forced to let nature take its course. unless anyone else has any other advise. btw i cant move him to another tank cuz he would really be stressed then my other tank houses about 6 guppies and a common snapping turtle.

That's good. See if you can buy another female or two to add to the school. I thought that this might be your problem too. In my opinion, 5 tiger barbs is just about the max you can have in the tank...I wouldn't go more than that. Good luck with things!

thanks. im gonna go look for more females at my lfs in the morning. problem is all the fish they usually have r already stressed and dont have that bright coloring. oh well hopefully everything goes ok. ive actually had someone tell me that i could have 6-8 in a 10 gal as long as the filtration could keep up. (and me too) but im gonna stick w/about 5

6-8 in a 10 gal as long as the filtration could keep up. (and me too) but im gonna stick w/about 5

That would be best. 5 is a nice school. You want them to have room to grow, and swim especially. As you saw, barbs can get aggressive, and you want to make sure you can accomodate them :wink:

Good Luck!

for a singles bar type setting i would much rather enjoy a 4 females to 1 male better. :lol: :wink: :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom