Very Concerned About Water Quality (long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As most of you know, I recently moved. My old house had perfect water conditions for the fish that I wanted to keep, it was city water. Now in my new house, which is well water, things are very high and I'm extremely nervous about keeping fish and buying new ones now. I was so excited to be able to set this tank up and now I'm petrified that it's going to backfire on me. :(

This is what my water tests at straight out of the faucet...
Kh (11 drops) = 11° dKH / 196.9ppm
Gh (5 drops) = 5° dGH / 89.5ppm
Phosphate = 0ppm
Nitrate = 5.0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Ph = 8.4

This is what my aquarium water tests at...
Kh (13 drops) = 13° dKH / 232.7ppm
Gh (3-5 drops) = 3-5° dGH / 53.7 - 89.5ppm
Phosphate = .5ppm
Nitrate = 10ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Ph = 8.0

I'd like to point out that the aquarium water does still have some water from my old house. When I moved I kept all of the gravel and decorations in 5 gallon buckets. I would guess that there's probably about 15-20 gallons max of the old water.

With that said, I currently have 5 fish in this tank. A pair of Bolivian Rams (1 added on 5/25 and the other added on 5/26) and a trio of YoYo Loaches all of which were added on 5/25. I did have a third Ram which was added on 5/25, but sadly I lost it over the weekend. Other fish that I'm hoping to keep include Tiger Barbs, Gold Gouramis, Opaline Gouarmis, Ropefish (this will be the last addition), and I'm planning to bring my Sailfin Pleco home.

At the risk of sounding cruel or heartless, it wouldn't really bother me to lose any new fish. It's the thought that my Pleco could die that's honestly turning my stomach. I know I have to get him out of the 46 gallon bow tank, but I'm afraid that the water quality difference will kill him. I think I'd hate myself for a long time if I were responsible for his death. I really love this fish and don't want to hurt him.

Can I please get your thoughts on the test results and what they mean? Am I over reacting because this is just so new to me or this really a huge problem? Specifically to the fish I'm hoping to get (will they survive)? Are the chances good that my pleco will survive this transition - especially considering the big difference in Ph (his current tank tests at 6.4)?

ok, no need to panic, if you haven't added the pleco yet, you can put him in a cooler and do a drip acclimiation, which is taking a piece of airline hose and puttin a valve in it to slowly let water from the new tank drip into the water from the old tank, do this for a couple hours, but don't let it over flow obviously, this will get your pleco used to the new water conditions, but if you have added it, you may wanna treat the tank with some prime or something of that nature, most plecos are hardy fish though and will survive through just about anything

Thanks - I haven't moved the pleco yet. I was going to wait a couple of weeks to make sure the tank is ok and ready for him.

Yes, they were brand new buckets.

I think if you slowly acclimate the pleco (at least an hour or so, due to the large pH change), that he'll be fine. The other fishes should be fine as well.

Leave some tap water out for a day or so and test it then. Results from straight out of the tap are usually different than when the water is left out.

I have water that is not too far off from that. pH 7.6 to 7.8, KH about the same, maybe a drop less. Never did a phosphate test, no nitrate in the tap (municipal supply), I keep the nitrates 10 or less with water changes. I think only well water ever has nitrate in it? With acclimation, your fish will do fine.

Thanks for the advice. While I'm still incredibly nervous about risking my pleco's life, I know that this is what's best for him. I only hope he makes it ok.

Can anyone post pictures (or point me the right to direction to find pictures) of a fish being acclimated with the airline tube? I think I know what's being recommended, but I'm more of a visual person so seeing a photo or two would be very helpful!

I know how you feel - My Pleco Clem has been with me for years and I would happily trade the lives of all my fish to save his (cruel I know, but I love this guy). Plecos are tough as hell so you don't have to worry too much. That being said if you are going to lower you PH do it before you aclimatise him.

Below is a picture of how to do it, it won't win any awards but should give you the idea. just set him in a bucket next to your tank and start a syphon through the airline hose. I use a small tap so I can slow it to a trickle - Give yourself a good 4/5 hours if you want to be really certain you won'tt hurt him and go really slow. Everytime the bucket fills up - Empty half of it back out again. Test the PH every now and then, once the PH in the bucket is the same as the PH in the tank, float the bucket in the tank to match the temperatures.

He'll then be ready to go into the tank safe and sound - Give him some pumpkin then tuck him in for the night.

Clem and I wish you the best of luck.

Attachments

• savethepleco_958.jpg
    savethepleco_958.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for the input guys! I went out tonight and got the supplies for the drop method along with 2 new fish... They had 2 Opaline Gouramis that I just couldn't pass up! This is giving me a chance to try the drip method. They're currently being dripped on. :lol: Will post pics and an update when I finish. :)

Back
Top Bottom