VERY happy this morning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaGal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My nitrites are FINALLY at .25! :D This is the first time they weren't zero, so I know my tank is starting to cycle. I'm really glad I saw that light purple - as much as I like the color aqua, I was starting to get impatient!! :lol:

As I mentioned before, I'm getting a 55 gallon tank, and my Rena XP2 will be here any day now. What's the best way (after my little 10 gallon tank cycles) to get bacteria on the media for the XP2?? I don't think any of the media will fit in my little whisper HOB for a 10 gallon tank.

Thanks!!

Congratulations on the beginning of your cycle. I applaud your patience. Can you put the filter media into the tank once the 10 gal cycles? Do you have any other established tanks you can borrow some media from or run the cannister on? You could run the cannister on the 10 gal but that is quite powerful for the 10 gal. It would depend on what tankmates you will be keeping in the 10 gal.

ya, if you can, just take the filter on the 10 (i'm guessing an hob?) and stick it on the 55..if there's no fish in the 10 that is...

Another idea is if you have the media, like ceramic cylinders, you can just place them on the gravel of the 10G until it's time to put in the XP2. It will get plenty of bacteria in place on the cylinders. What media will you be using in the XP2? You can put most media in the 10G, and the bacteria will start to colonize on it. If you need to do the sponge, you may need to put a weight on top of it, but it will work. Just some thoughts to get your media ready before placing in the XP2.

Back
Top Bottom