Very hard water and very high PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have to do something about this. One of my fish has fin rot and it says it is caused by "bad water."

Am I poisoning my fish with every water change? What can I add to my water to get it stable?????????? Driftwood hasn't helped at all. :(

"Bad water" is more akin to problems with high levels of nitrites, ammonia or nitrates, not a high ph. If your ph is consistently stable, you are in no way poisoning your fish.

How high is it and what types of fish do you have? Some fish actually prefer a higher pH, such as African cichlids.

Nitrates 20

Nitrite 0

Hardness 250

pH 8.4

Total alkalinity/buffering capacity--looks 300 to me

It's been this way forever. I always read not to mess with it, but it bothers me.

55 gallon tank

2 tiger barbs (only one tiger barb has fin rot)
2 gold barbs
2 albino tiger barbs (one male, one female)
2 neon rosey barbs
1 black ruby barb
2 clown loach
one common pleco
one pictus catfish
two bamboo shrimp
one angelicus botia loach

My pH is 8.2 and my hardness is way up there. Its not caused me an issue from what I can tell. Messing with the pH means you will ALWAYS have to "mess with it" (keep it adjusted) and if you're not careful about it it could fluctuate frequently which I believe would be less healthy for the fish than adapting.

I'm using water with 8.8+ and hardness in the mid 300s. The test kit only goes to 8.8 but I'm sure it is higher than that. Your pH will not cause ill effects to the fish unless they are wild species. But considering that you have had them this long, it is not a problem. Bad water would be high Nitrates, Ammonia, nitrites, contamination, etc.

I've got high ph too. About 8.5. Don't worry too much about it unless you plan to breed. Even my kuhli loaches have no problem with 8.5. There ought to be a sticky concerning high ph.

When you say Conditioners, what do you mean? Dechlorinators are used to remove Chlorine or Chloramines. They are needed for every water change. Some companies make dechlorinators that are supposed to set your pH to a certain level. It's the same as dechlor but messes with the water chemistry. Don't use those.

Isn't 20 high for nitrate level? I have never heard of a fishes tail rotting for a reason like high Ph... Who told you "bad water" means high Ph? My tap water in South Florida was at or around 8, and I never had problems except with my GB Rams.

I know that. I was just putting it out there because I didn't know myself if 20 is high for nitrates. I always assumed it was, but now my question got answered... Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom