Very high nitrate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fender1958

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have had my tank up and running for about 6 months and it's been consistent in its levels. Ph is consistent ammonia is 0 ppm and Nitrites are 0 ppm as well. However I have always had a very high nitrates level and brown algae. I find myself having to do a 50% water change very often. With the fish I have it's not like they are "dirty" fish nor is my tank over populated so I feel like I might be missing something in my set up. Any ideas?

Is there nitrate in your tap? You may just need to do large regular PWCs to keep them down.

Are you testing gor nitrates correctly? Is the kit expired? Try doing a test, and shaking the crud out of the bottle

Aces11 said:
Is there nitrate in your tap? You may just need to do large regular PWCs to keep them down.

Sorry stupid question. PWC = part water change?

Gboy66 said:
Are you testing gor nitrates correctly? Is the kit expired? Try doing a test, and shaking the crud out of the bottle

It's strips and just looked it is expired however something is off if I'm getting brown algae.

Fender1958 said:
It's strips and just looked it is expired however something is off if I'm getting brown algae.

Not really. Its called diatoms and it is part of what happens in a new tank. Go out and buy an api master fw liquid test kit as soon as you can. Then your tests will be accurate.

Also, for the algea, some otos or nerite snails might help, if you like them of course

Fender1958 said:

Strips are known to be fairly inaccurate. I would try to get a liquid test kit or strips that haven't expired.

Aces11 said:
Strips are known to be fairly inaccurate. I would try to get a liquid test kit or strips that haven't expired.

Brand for tests? In the mean time I still have that brown algae growing constantly. Is that a light or possibly oxygen issue?

I think first of all we need to ask how high your nitrates are and how often you change the water. And how long it was since your last water change when you did your last water test

Fender1958 said:
Brand for tests? In the mean time I still have that brown algae growing constantly. Is that a light or possibly oxygen issue?

A lot of members use the API master test kit. It's liquid tests and it comes with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph tests.
Brown algae could be a light issue but I'm not positive. Most tanks old and new get it at some point. Like Gboy66 said, you could get some ottos or nerite snails if they appeal to you. They'll eat the algae. I've been looking for a nerite myself.

tarpon said:
I think first of all we need to ask how high your nitrates are and how often you change the water. And how long it was since your last water change when you did your last water test

Well according to my expired test strips it's 80ppm. I did test my tap and it's 0ppm again according to the expired strips. I last changed my water 2 weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom