Very interesting tank the last couple of days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noel 9764

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My very peaceful tank has had changes in the community.
I have 6 angels I noticed some territory aggression chasing away and a cool stand off between two males.
Yesterday I noticed eggs on a silk plant. All of my other fish are on the other side if the tank. This is there first set of eggs. They ate them. But I never thought I would be thinking about breeding angels. It did get me thinking on what those fry would have looked like. It amazes me on how dedicated the now mated pair are. I wish I had confidence on removing the next batch of eggs and trying to raise the fry.
Do mated angel fish mate for life? I was trying to read up on them more. Finding the whole thing fascinating.
How long will the aggression continue? Mostly their just chasing others away except for the stand offs in my tank. I swear their going for a duel. Lol thanks for letting me share
Noel

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, seeing as nobody else has said anything, i will tell you of my limited experiences with angels. I haven't kept them for more than half a year as of now.

They are a Cichlid, an aggressive family of fish. As with most South American Cichlids, they are especially territorial wren breeding, put a pair of angels will always be more aggressive than just a single angel. So while you can expect the aggression to lessen, it wont dissipate. Also, as they grow, they become more and mire likely to kill the other angels. It is only recommended to keep one fully grown pair of angels in a tank that is smaller than a 55, as far as I've learnt. You should probably only keep one pair in a 55 as well.

If you end up with another pAir i should think that you will be sorely tempted to rehome for the sake of your fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

And i do believe they mate for life as long as they have access to each other; i think if you remove one the other will pair to another fish if it can.

The aggression has decreased but they still chase all of the fish on the other side if the tank. You would think 150 g is enough to live peacefully with.( I only have like 15 fish in it)
Im switching things around after a wc to see if it helps. If not I just might buy another tank. Thanks for the reply. I am trying to research angels I guess they will lay eggs again in about two weeks so we will see.. If behavior and aggression will worsen as they mature thanks again

Sometimes fish don't show there aggression until they get older and larger.

The angels do not mate for life.
They can stay bonded for life but it is not necessary.
IMO more then a pair in any tank will end up with just a pair.
Ask me how I know? I have 2 left out of 6 in my 180 from the last 2 years.
Andy S is the man when it comes to angels so if he corrects me I appreciate it!(y)
Check out his thread :brows:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-a-hatchery-and-everything-angels-324616.html

Thanks coralbandit

I am about 90% sure that once a pair mates it acts like the rest of the SA cichlids and stays with its mate, until it is no longer in the same tank.

I would try to give those Angels their own tank. If it's possible.

I would try to give those Angels their own tank. If it's possible.

My vote is for the same, give the pair their own tank, unless you don't want to deal with the work.
Angels are very aggressive towards each other, they've been my favorite fish but sometimes hard to keep in a group.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think I'll have to. Water changes with switching the up the tank didn't help much. The aggression is an off again on again kind of thing. I've noticed a lot of stress. I've also witness one hiding behind a rock while the aggressive male is above him.
It's kind of a bummer. Reading and talking to people. and trying to do what's right. Making sure I have a big aquarium. Being told and reading it's best to get more than one angelfish.that 5 is a good starter. Making sure the tank is a tall one. Getting tank mates who will go well with them. Get your perimeters set.
It worked until my angels matured. Nobody hid,everyone was out swimming and forging around. It was just a Happy healthy tank.
I don't really have a lot of room in my home for a good size tank. Do you feel a 30 gal would be ok for the mated pair?
Thanks again everyone

I think I'll have to. Water changes with switching the up the tank didn't help much. The aggression is an off again on again kind of thing. I've noticed a lot of stress. I've also witness one hiding behind a rock while the aggressive male is above him.
It's kind of a bummer. Reading and talking to people. and trying to do what's right. Making sure I have a big aquarium. Being told and reading it's best to get more than one angelfish.that 5 is a good starter. Making sure the tank is a tall one. Getting tank mates who will go well with them. Get your perimeters set.
It worked until my angels matured. Nobody hid,everyone was out swimming and forging around. It was just a Happy healthy tank.
I don't really have a lot of room in my home for a good size tank. Do you feel a 30 gal would be ok for the mated pair?
Thanks again everyone

My breeding pair have a 20 tall with some plants.

My lesbian pair live in a 30g tall together and

That just leaves my black angel who hates all other angels but is perfectly peaceful with other fish in the 55g

Makes me feel better thank you

Yep a 20 high, 29, or larger works for a breeding pair of Angels. I wouldnt jeep anything in that tank except Cories or Otos, else the eggs could be eaten and the parents would show aggression.

Yep a 20 high, 29, or larger works for a breeding pair of Angels. I wouldnt jeep anything in that tank except Cories or Otos, else the eggs could be eaten and the parents would show aggression.

Cories won't eat the eggs?

They might but i dont think so... At least not all of them, if any.

But if you don't want the risk then just don't do a bottom feeder; Cories are your best chance IMO. Plecos and Loaches will devour the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom