Very shy Medusa pleco L-34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a medusa pleco for my 30G and I don't think I have seen a more shy fish.

Is this normal for this type of pleco? I was intrigued by it, and they don't grow too large, but I never see the poor little guy.

Pleco's are notoriously shy creatures. If you provide any type of hiding spot, they will find it and use it as much as possible. I have several dwarf pleco's and a 9" Sailfin Pleco in my planted tank. I rarely see the dwarf pleco's (bristlenose's) unless they are busy rasping. If it weren't for the size of my sailfin, I'd never see him.

In my 90G I have a sailfin pleco and a king scribble, and they are out all the time. Maybe I need to make the medusa a better cave?

If you move near the tank he freaks out and hides. The bolivians and molly fry don't care, but he's pretty timid. I try dropping 1/2 an algae tablet in for him, but the others end up with it instead.

How long have you had this pleco? If it's fairly new, it may still be adjusting to his new home and you.

I've had him for three weeks now. I thought he would have settled down by now. I've been thinking that maybe his is more nocturnal than diurnal.

My sailfin Clem was loved hiding when he was little so I only made his pumpkin / zuchini available to him when the lights where on. He very quickly adapted to being around in the daylight hours. I then started walking towards the tank when clem was eating and gradually got closer and closer.

Now he is freqeuntly seen cruising the tank during the daytime and doesn't get spooked by people (No loud noises though!). It took a bit of time but was well worth it!

Back
Top Bottom