Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Very tiny black bug infestation in aquarium.

Hi, I recently noticed very small black bugs in my aquarium. Looked all over the net, but can't find any info on them. They seem to be eating my plants as well. They are smaller than the grains of sand in my aquarium, so it's very difficult to get a good picture. If anyone knows what they are and if they are harmful or not. Or if anyone has the same bugs, please post here with any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_113916.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	312921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_140348.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	312924  

Old 05-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Water mites. I had them in my betta tank and I could never find anything that would kill them.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernpangio View Post
Water mites. I had them in my betta tank and I could never find anything that would kill them.
Thanks for the reply,
Just searched up water mites and they do look like mites. Not sure what kind of water mites they are though. The ones in my aquarium are very slow moving. You would have to stay there and stare at it for a while to see it move.
I also tired several different meds on it by placing a few in different containers with different meds and nothing killed them.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoka View Post
Thanks for the reply,
Just searched up water mites and they do look like mites. Not sure what kind of water mites they are though. The ones in my aquarium are very slow moving. You would have to stay there and stare at it for a while to see it move.
I also tired several different meds on it by placing a few in different containers with different meds and nothing killed them.
Yes, the ones I had you could never see move but they were in different spots if you left for a while and looked at the tank again. I have a feeling the only way to get rid of them would be to start the tank over, unless there's something out there that I don't know of that would kill them.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Yes, the ones I had you could never see move but they were in different spots if you left for a while and looked at the tank again. I have a feeling the only way to get rid of them would be to start the tank over, unless there's something out there that I don't know of that would kill them.
Sounds like we have the same mites. Did you end up just leaving them in your tank? And did they do any damage to your plants? Thinking of just leaving them in if they don't do any harm. It would be a bummer to have to start over. They have invaded 3 of my tanks now and I have a good colony of shrimps in each tank. Starting over would probably cause lots of shrimps to die off.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Sounds like we have the same mites. Did you end up just leaving them in your tank? And did they do any damage to your plants? Thinking of just leaving them in if they don't do any harm. It would be a bummer to have to start over. They have invaded 3 of my tanks now and I have a good colony of shrimps in each tank. Starting over would probably cause lots of shrimps to die off.
I took the tank down and sold it. I only ever saw the mites eating detritus, dead plants and slime from the silicone. I won't lie; I hated putting my hands in the tank knowing there was mites in there.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
I took the tank down and sold it. I only ever saw the mites eating detritus, dead plants and slime from the silicone. I won't lie; I hated putting my hands in the tank knowing there was mites in there.
Oh that's good to know they only ate dead plant matter. But doesn't sound promising on getting rid of them..

Thanks for sharing your experience with them though. I will keep trying to see if I find anything that will kill them besides purging the whole tank and starting over.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Oh that's good to know they only ate dead plant matter. But doesn't sound promising on getting rid of them..

Thanks for sharing your experience with them though. I will keep trying to see if I find anything that will kill them besides purging the whole tank and starting over.
Oddly enough across a few different forums i've been seeing people posting about the same mites recently. I wonder where they're coming from.

Have you gotten plants from anywhere recently?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Oddly enough across a few different forums i've been seeing people posting about the same mites recently. I wonder where they're coming from.

Have you gotten plants from anywhere recently?
I did actually. But I don't think it was from the plants. I think it was from the mystery snails I picked up from a seller about 3 weeks ago. It only took about a week for the mites to infest the tank. You wouldn't happen to have a link to the other posts on the mites would you? I'm going to follow the posts and hopefully someone figures out a way to exterminate them.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I did actually. But I don't think it was from the plants. I think it was from the mystery snails I picked up from a seller about 3 weeks ago. It only took about a week for the mites to infest the tank. You wouldn't happen to have a link to the other posts on the mites would you? I'm going to follow the posts and hopefully someone figures out a way to exterminate them.
Where did you buy the plants? Mine came from plants that I bought. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to mention this forum but i've seen a lot of posts on Fishlore about these mites.

Tags
aquarium, black, infestation, bug

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com