VERY URGENT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only dose for the amount of water you take out during a change. You already have the initial dose in there.

Any stressing factor can make a yoyo loach darken up. It's just a sign of stress and should not be the only symptom to base a diagnosis on. Wait and observe.

You're already treating the main tank with the Melafix. Keep it to that for now.

He seems a bit better today and i want to try some food now, is there anything that would be best for him?
I have Algae pellets dont think he enjoys them as much as he used to when he was younger.

Algae wafers again my youngest loach likes them, 2 elder ones dont as much.

Frozen bloodworms - all my fish wolf them down.

Frozen Brine Shrimp - likes them but not as much as bloodworms

Frozen Whiteworms - prefers bloodworms.

Will bloodworms be ok? i'll drop 1 or 2 in there i think and see what he does, although would these be best? Surely he needs a good food to build his immune system back up will any of these be best?

Also i just done some water tests on the QT tank.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
pH - 8.0

I think my tap water must have changed a bit, i tested my cimmunity tank and that has surprisingly low levels of nitrate.
I'll test the tap water now.

Because of the hood (wont fit on properly as the filter and airsotne are different) there is increased evaporation. I will need to add more water soon, definately tomorow. Should i just add treated tap water or try to work out the amount of medicine needed and add that with it?

Just offer a few bloodworms to see if he'll eat.

Don't add medicine in water being used to top off the tank (for evaporation). Being you're not taking any out, there's no need to add more.

To help avoid accidental overdose and even dilution of the medication in the QT is to have a bucket of pretreated water ready to be used. It's easier to measure and leaves less room for accidental overdosing.

Right, i added some more water (treated, not medicated) then offered 4 bloodworms.
Im not sure if ht took them or not, 1 went right next to his head and he moved a little but i couldnt see exactly what he did. I sucked another out, 1 went into the filter and i cant find the other.

If i see it i'll get it out, but i dont want to rustle around in there to find it as the cave will most likely fall on him, also i dont want to stress him out anymore.

Over the last few days he's really perked up a lot!

Every minute or so he comes out of the cave and zips around the tank mainly at the top, it seems like he's regained his youth! When i got him i got the 2nd biggest one with him and for absolutely ages, 2 days if i remember correctly they would both swim up the corners of the tank right to the top! he has been doing this for days now and all of his markings are gone!

I added the 2nd dose earlier today and was going to ask how long should i leave him in there? He seems fine to go back in the cimmunity tank now but i want to make absolutely sure that the infection has been 100% destroyed!

I should think another 4 days would do it because thats how long you wait to add another dose. Should i leave him in there for longer than that? perhaps a week or 2?

But overall yeah a vast improvement!! Thank you!

Great!! Glad to hear. Finish off the rest of what this treatment calls for. Keep the fish in the QT for at least a week without meds. You can do partial water changes after treatment to start diluting the medication. I would say if one to two weeks without meds and doesn't show signs of reinfection...and the main tank is balanced, then it would be a good time to reintroduce the fish.

May even opt to eat now :)

Keep me updated.

Yeah i think i'll leave him in there for about a week if not 2, he done some flashing earlier so its obviously not gone yet. I had a close inspection (with a torch lol) and he still has some very small previously not noticed red marks! I'll see how he is after a week

I am a little concerned with the community tank. My 2nd biggest loach keeps on coming out at least once a day to do a spot of flashing lasting about 30 seconds to 1 minute!
Im tempted to half dose the community tank with some of the anti internal bacteria treatment, the melafix dosent seem to be doing much only holdng whatever this is at bay.
Im pretty sure its the same as what my loach in the QT tanks has, he's showing the same symptoms... flashing, uncharacteristic swimming all over the tank and he's darkened in colour.

So long as you don't have any shrimps or crabs or other inverts, using the anti internal bacterial med would be fine. Just remember to take out the carbon from the filter.

He's looking a lot better now. There's still some faint pinky/redness on his underside (i see it when he swims up the corners of the tank)

Also he's still flashing, He does it on his underside only, so i'll wait until he stops doing that then put him back in. Also the other 2 yoyo's in the community tank are flashing but show so visible signs of any infection or distress what so ever.
The 2nd biggest yoyo is still darker in colour but could this be a change in behaviour?
Afterall he is "The boss of the tank" now and i would've thought this would make him loose his juevanile white and adapt to a dark silver?

I have treated the community tank and will add the second dosage (half the reccomended amount) tomorow.

Good to hear the fish is getting better. Keep up on it.

A darkening in color is a general sign of stress. If the fish is flashing, it's doing so for a reason. Being both of these are happening at the same time, there's a good chance something is there whether it's visible or not.

He's still flashing (QT Loach) i suppose i should wait until the flashing goes until i put him back but he just seems so healthy apart from the flashing.

Its 2 weeks today.

I could put him back in but i think i may do that in the week so i can observe him over the next few days, also i added some more treatment yesterday so i want to let it do its thing.

The other loaches seem ok, i am treating the community tank and they havent been flashing over the last few days.

I am treating the community tank aswell so if i put the QT loach back in there he still will be under treatment.

Sounds like things are going well. If the community tank is being treated too, then go ahead and put him in there. Do acclimate him slowly to the main tank's water. Don't just plop him in there. Watch for any signs of aggression from the other loaches. Reintroduce him with the lights off, put a little bit of food in the tank (as a distraction) and release the fish on the opposite side the other loaches are at. This will give him a chance to high tail it to a safe spot for when he gets inspected by the other fish.

Even though he's been in with them before, they're still going to want to check out what just entered their territory. I don't think it's known if fish can recognize individuals of their own kind (other than the opposite sex). When he goes in there, he may as well be considered a 'new' fish by the other fish.

Last night i put him back in!

I syphoned some water out of his QT tank to make it easier to catch him, (He's so strong) it didnt take long at all though.

I acclimatised him for about 30/40 minutes with the light off, then when i released him he went to the back of the tank and sat there for a few seconds then he started to look around the bottom of the tank. All the loachs were active and took a while in finding each other but when they did the 2 biggest ones both lost their colour and went silvery! It seemed as though they were happier when they were seperate.

In the QT tank my loach was the normal black and silvery/white colour and looked really striking and healthy (in the last few days) now though he seems 'on edge' and off colour.
I think they must be a bit wary of each other as it is a pretty small tank and they might be worried about territory and food. The smallest loach is looking the nicest though, full of colour and seems healthy so if size, food and territory is the issue here surely my smallest one would look the worst?

Would more 'hide outs' be a good idea, to keep them as far apart as possible? With the baby one acting as the interaction for the 2 biggest ones?
Obviously it would be inevitable that they meet and the big one chases the small one but it would keep them futher apart.

Adding hideouts is always welcomed by the fish. Gives them something new to explore and claim and does help ease any tension. Fish do communicate with their abilities to tone up or down coloring or through showing or hiding bars as well as movements. I wouldn't worry much unless there are obvious attacks. The main thing now is to keep eye on bio, look out for any reinfections, and watch for any obvious aggression. Give the fish some time to adjust to his surroundings and settle down.

I'll be reviewing the thread. I'll post another message later.

I checked to see how the loach was doing back in the QT tank yesterday and i noticed some silver markings on him, there like blotches/patches.
They are pure silver, no red no other colour. It looks like someone has stuck some silver stickers on him or painted it on, i find it really wierd, i've never seen anything like this before.

He seems his normaly bullyish self though, chasing the other 2 if they go near his log.

These arent great pics, but there the best i could get.

Back
Top Bottom