Very...weird...quistion. How to get algae to grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I WANT some algae to grow in my tank, I mean, chances are is that it does grow, but with the algae eaters, it is taken care of right away. I feed algae wafers and all, but I wouldnt mind some fresh stuff for the otos, the common, and the bristlenose (who LOVES to eat algae...trust me...this guy you can stick in an algae covered tank and a day later he will hasve cleaned the entire thing) I have 2 4' T5 lights over the 75 gallon, but the glass remains absolutely spotless...except for water spots on the outside glass

Take a spare jug or aquarium, fill with water, dechlorinate, and leave in a sunny location. A dose of Ammonia and you'll get Green water almost guarenteed. For other types of algae take a look at the following articles for more information on how to get other algae to grow. Basically instead of following the cures you'll want to create the situations that cause the algae instead.

Steve Hampton's Algae Article
GWAPA's Algae Article

Once you figure out how to grow the algae, you can place some stones or driftwood in your culture container then rotate them out to your aquarium to feed the pleco as they get covered and return them as the pleco cleans them off.

I would deffinatly read Steve Hamptons guide, he is the most knowledgable person I have spoken with when it comes to anything green.

Phosphates also help to get algae growing. You can usually get a bag of it at a garden store, just add it to your bowl of culture. You will also need light, lots of it since algae always flourishes in extra light and nutrients.

Another occasional treat you can try for them would be blanched lettuce or cucumber/zuchini or a few other fruits and vegies. My otos love fresh apple slices and blanched lettuce so much and they won't even touch the algae wafers.

Back
Top Bottom