Vicious plecostomus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curtissimo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently bought a second, larger common plec to my 30 g tank. I bought it because it looked very docile of the bunch in the store, and because I love plecos. Well, after a few weeks of having it, it seems to go crazy when it smells food and starts ripping scales off of my large comet (I have 3 goldfish, but only one has the luxury of getting descaled--strange) and trying to sucker others. It also harrasses my smaller pleco to a lesser degree. I'm afraid of losing my smaller pleco (He seems ok now) to this monster pleco. I've had him for over a year and have grown very attached. Any suggestions? I don't really want to get rid of him. Is there something you can buy where my little pleco can find refuge? Thanks

Plecos are often intolerant of others of their own kind. Best to have one per tank. The smaller ones are usually not agressive. Larger ones can be. This is a guideline...not a rule. You will hear of many folks that successfully keep several in the same tank. It is unusual for the pleco to show aggression towards other types of fish though. Only thing I know to do is take him back or move him to another tank.
Logan J

I've know more than once placo to hound/kill other placo's. Both sub.species and major.species.

In a 30 gallon tank.... one is enough, IMHO.

The only placo's I've seen actively -attack- other species, (especially gold fish) is when they were really large placo's. (ie: 10"+) Which, anything over that, I would again have to question it's presence within a tiny 30gal tank. (remember, placo's can get really big in the wild rivers... amazon ... big river)

Like your foot in a shoe a size or two too small, be sensitive to your fishes habitat needs.

If your large placo is getting up there in size, perhaps it's time to find a new home for him, and let your little one stay in the 30gal ;)

....Just my own thoughts.... it is 1am, after all....

Thank you fellows for your kind input. If he gets worse I'm going to give him away for fear of losing my little pleco. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom