Vicious Tiger Barb. What Should I Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my Tiger Barbs is particularly vicious. It's always taking big chunks out of the tail fins of the other Tiger Barbs. They others usually die within a few days thanks to the aggressive one.

Is there any way to cub that behavior?

How big is the tank, and how many tiger barbs do you have? In larger groups (6 or more), aggression is spread around more evenly. It also helps if you have lots of places for harassed fish to hide. My tiger barbs duck into a huge bed of Java moss to escape from each other.

I had a barb that was a bully. I put him in with my 4 inch oscar for a day. Settled him right down! :lol:

The number of Tiger Barbs I have now is 3 (all about 2") in a 10 gallon with a little pleco. The mean Tiger Barb has killed a couple fish in the last few weeks. Ever time I bring home a new fish, the mean Tiger Barb runs them into a corner and begins taking chunks out of their fins.

At first I thought I might have brought home some weak Tiger Barbs, but not I'm thinking that the one is unusually aggressive.

OK, from your past post and this one, I'd have to repeat what's already been advised.
The Tigers are shoaling fish and by having more fish (6-8+) the aggression is spread thru-out the shoal. Tigers in small shoals (1-5) are a menace to each other and tankmates.
Get more Tigers...
But you can't reasonably stock that many Tigers along with your current fish in a 10gal.
Get rid of Tigers or get a bigger tank...

I just noticed you didn't mention the Gourami as a tankmate this time, just the Plec, did your Tiger kill the Gourami?

Lets face it your 10gal is just too small for a proper shoal of Tigers.

The gourami has been relocated to a different tank.

The only drawback to these fish is their tendency to nip the fins of fish in the tank, especially angels. Single specimens tend to be aggressive and should not be kept. Tiger Barbs should be kept in a school of at least six fish.

Everywhere I go looking at profiles for the Tiger Barb its the same story, 6+ fish in a shoal or your asking for trouble with these little buggers.

Be a good conscientious fishkeeper and either get rid of the Tigers or get a bigger tank and really keep some Tigers.

:evil: 10,9,8,7,6,5.....

ChileRelleno said:
Get rid of Tigers or get a bigger tank...

Any suggestions for some good fish for the 10 gallon if I get rid of the Tiger Barbs (which I will probably have to do).

ChileRelleno said:
Be a good conscientious fishkeeper and either get rid of the Tigers or get a bigger tank and really keep some Tigers.

:evil: 10,9,8,7,6,5.....

Getting a bigger tank is out of the question for now as I will be moving shortly and likely won't be able to get a bigger tank for a while. I'm sure I can get the LFS to take back my Tigers (dead or alive).

A small group of barbs is socially unstable. It sounds like one barb has taken charge of not only his group, but the entire tank. If you add any more fish, he will probably harass them to death. The only way to socially reprogram this barb is to put him into a very large group - he wouldn't be able to take on everybody, and he would eventually learn to deal with it. Unfortunately, your 10 gal doesn't give you much room to work with.

I would either upgrade to a 15 gal tank and get four - five more full grown (2") tiger barbs, or trade in the three you already have for 5 juveniles (no more than 3/4 inch). What kind of pleco do you have? Don't forget to consider its contribution to the tank's bioload. Five full grown tiger barbs and a 4 inch pleco in a 10 gal is a bit overstocked, but do-able if you do weekly water changes and don't overfeed. HTH

depends on what you want to keep. I personally will be getting a 10 gallon with with a betta and 6 kuhli loaches or so with lots of plants in the tank. But then again, i have lots of filteration

Sure,
I like Gouramis, go get yourself another Dwarf Gourami (they come in some awesome variations, with lots of character), keep the Pleco (as long its one the smaller Plecs, what type is it?) and perhaps a couple of Cherry Barbs (we'll keep you Barbed :lol: ) as they do best as mated pairs...
Or a couple Platy's?

Alot of choices out there, just do your homework and you and your fish will get along fine :wink: .

Edit to add: Didn't see post about Gourami transferred, good job on that :) .

I posted after ChileRelleno's comments. I agree that your 10 gal is just too small for a proper shoal of tigers, and I'm glad you see that too.

If you like barbs, 5 rosy barbs would work well in a 10 gal - they're much more peaceful than tigers. Another possibility is some of the smaller tetras, like cardinals or head/tail lights.

I have a dwarf flame gourami with a bully tiger barb in a 10 gal. The gourami took some fin nipping in the beginning, but he has set the tiger barb straight now and is now the ruler of the tank. Gouramis know how to defend themselves. I made the same beginner mistake of only getting 3 tiger barbs, which the bully eventually killed the other 2.

For a 10 gal you can get any of the smaller danios (need in schools though, should get at least 6), female bettas (some stores don't get these though), dwarf gourami, rasboras, any of the smaller tetras (like neons), platies. 10 gal is really limited on fish choices. :?

Back
Top Bottom