Violent Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Black Moscow Guppy Has Been Very Violent Towards My Albino Corydoras Lately Any Ideas. He's Violent At Feeding Time But Also When Not Being Fed. I Think He's Also Got A Female Guppy Pregnant But I Don't Think That Would Be It.

it wouldn't be because he got a female pregnant .. but if he is in a tank with a female/s, then the female is pregnant 9 chances out if 10

check your water parameters, try rearrange the tank, do the cories have places to hide, how many cories do you have? how big is the tank?

Like rreekers said, knowing the specifics of the tank would help. Rearranging the tank is a good idea too. :)
Every once in awhile, I have heard of a guppy being nasty to other fish. So, its not super common, but it does happen.

absolutangel04 said:
Like rreekers said, knowing the specifics of the tank would help. Rearranging the tank is a good idea too. :)
Every once in awhile, I have heard of a guppy being nasty to other fish. So, its not super common, but it does happen.

I have had a few nasty ones.. something else that would help us figure it out is to know your entire stock, and numbers of males and females because in my experience guppies do best in 1m 3f ratio... you could always donate the male to a lfs and stick with females. also if guppies are the biggest (in size) fish in your tank.. he could just be territorial

2 Cories
2 Male Guppies
3 Female Guppies
5 Zebra Danios
5 Neon Tetra
14 US Gallon
3 Bog Wood with place to hide underneath
Amazon Sword
Grass Type Plant

I've noticed that the Guppy is violent to other fish to

IMHO most aggressive tendencies of breeding fish can be removed with more females. With Guppies, Platies, etc, I would have 3 females to every male.

And you ARE going to have babies/fry in your tank, there is no question. The only way not to is to only buy males, because if you buy a single female, they can have stored sperm and make fry even without a male.

However, it appears your tank is overstocked as-is, so adding more fish may be a mistake.

I don't think a 14g tank is enough to put in too many more females though, at least not with all the other stock.
If its the tank in your avatar, then theres not too much to re-arrange. I still recommend trying that though. If that doesn't work, I suggest re-homing the male.
Incidently, do you have a test kit to check your water parameters?

I Might buy alot more plants to place at back of tank so more places to hide and my tank has changed from my avatar but thanks for help

2 Cories
2 Male Guppies
3 Female Guppies
5 Zebra Danios
5 Neon Tetra
14 US Gallon
3 Bog Wood with place to hide underneath
Amazon Sword
Grass Type Plant

I've noticed that the Guppy is violent to other fish to

definitively overstocked! i would say rehome the 2 male guppies or rehome the danios and get 3 more females... just my opinion

i hope you are doing weekly water changes because that tank is really stocked

Yes i do water changes twice a week thanks for your help

This might sound weird, but my black moscows only ever attacked a fish that was sick. They never picked on healthy fish of any species.

I know it sounds weird to hear people talk about violent guppies, but I've got some too! I have 3 male guppies and 7 black mollies in a 27hex. They are totally okay with the black mollies, but I put a yellow lyretail in there, and they nearly killed her. I was at work when my daughter discovered it, her tail was half gone :( she's recovered now, living in my other tank.

Sometimes it's just their personality, you might consider rehoming the aggressive fish if you want a peaceful community tank.

No, it's not their personality based on your information: They nearly killed her because of your male to female ratio.

You have three males, all trying to get one female interested in them. To avoid agression (or rather, to spread it out) you should have it in the other way around: 1 male, to 3 females.

But it was a female molly...with 7 other female mollies in the tank. I think it was her color, they might have thought she was a rival guppy. And they were killing her, not trying to mate with her.

I don't keep any female guppies at all, because I don't want fry.

But it was a female molly...with 7 other female mollies in the tank. I think it was her color, they might have thought she was a rival guppy. And they were killing her, not trying to mate with her.

I don't keep any female guppies at all, because I don't want fry.

Ahhh, Lyretails come with both Guppies and Mollies. :) I assumed Guppy, sorry for incorrect response in that case.

Tim Wheatley said:
Ahhh, Lyretails come with both Guppies and Mollies. :) I assumed Guppy, sorry for incorrect response in that case.

Oh, I see. I've never heard of a lyretail guppy. I did look up the black moscow guppies that they're talking about, because I'd never heard of them either, they're quite beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom