Virginia Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
As you can tell, I am an aquarium fanatic. So, I help my old teacher take care of her classroom aquarium. At first she wanted a chesapeake bay biotope but that was a failure. So we're trying to do a freshwater biotope of a section of a pond or a lake or even a stream. Any help is welcome. Suggestions?

First, a Chesapeake Bay biotope = Blue Crabs = I will eat your aquarium, hahaha

Just be careful introducing elements from nature unless they are properly sterilized. There's all sorts of nasties like parasites, pollution, fungus, etc...that can be detrimental if placed into a closed ecosystem like an aquarium without being properly prepared.

Last time I was at the Baltimore Aquarium they had biotopes of different local areas around here. It might be worth putting in a call and seeing if they have suggestions for you.

It's been about a year since I was there...but they had a few from different areas around here, I specifically remember the Chesapeake Bay one. Obviously they were bigger than a fish tank, but they could probably give you an idea of plants, etc... Tell them it's for a school and I'm sure there's someone who would help :)

First, a Chesapeake Bay biotope = Blue Crabs = I will eat your aquarium, hahaha

Just be careful introducing elements from nature unless they are properly sterilized. There's all sorts of nasties like parasites, pollution, fungus, etc...that can be detrimental if placed into a closed ecosystem like an aquarium without being properly prepared.

Last time I was at the Baltimore Aquarium they had biotopes of different local areas around here. It might be worth putting in a call and seeing if they have suggestions for you.

Ok. Il definitly call them. But do you have any know how on how to clean/ sterilize the rocks?

Back
Top Bottom