Visit to lfs, left confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You always tanks are overstocked. This person is having no problem and everyone else thinks it is fine

So why is it overstocked because on all of my threads you say the tanks are overstocked!

Aston, I won't get into the stocking of your tanks in someone else's thread. When you've also had 5 or more moderators and a large amount of forum members telling you the same thing as me, you can't possibly think I'm picking you as a target for some unreasonable rant.

I believe that the tank in question in this thread is overstocked and poorly stocked.

65 gallon tall, running two whispers 60's it homes two rosaline sharks, an albino rainbow shark, a red tailed shark, a dragon fish, a syno cat, a blood parrot, an albino butterfly algae eater, a royal pleco, a clown pleco and an assortment of snails

Being a tall tank, it does not have the same footprint as a regular 65. There are many sharks in there that require 55-75 feet on their own. In this tall tank, they do not get what they need. There are also multiple sharks, which makes it poorly stocked. The blood parrot should be with less aggressive species, as it cannot defend itself.

Feel free to question me again, sometime in the distant future, most likely not in my lifetime, when you've actually researched some of these species and have personal experience with keeping fish properly.

Sorry Mlani, I totally agree with LyndaB. All those "sharks" in that tank tend to make for unhappy "sharks". If it is working for you then great, just keep an eye out for aggression as those species don't get along with each other at all, on the norm.

But, as far as this person telling you that under stocking can hurt your fish... She needs to pay her rent and is looking to make a sale. The only thing I see lacking is a dither fish, which is a school of smaller fish, that when active, act as an 'all clear' for the others to come out and play.

Your stocking is fine! The only thing I would worry about with all those bottom feeders is the Royal Pleco, they grow 15 inches, it might be a little cramped on the bottom, so just be careful! If you are OK with your stocking why change or add to it? It is your tank! ;)

Your stocking is fine! The only thing I would worry about with all those bottom feeders is the Royal Pleco, they grow 15 inches, it might be a little cramped on the bottom, so just be careful! If you are OK with your stocking why change or add to it? It is your tank! ;)

Yes its your tank dude :cool:

IMO , Your royal may become aggressive and will not like other bottom dwellers such as corys or other plecos. I would make sure there is enough visible algae and if not add some veg or wafer as he will clean one of you windows very quickly :)

I hope you enjoy watching your Royal Pleco , I am buying one soon just need to save up as they are the most exspencive pleco I have ever seen! £25 , How much was yours

Good Luck With Your Tank (y)

Yes the tank might be a little over stocked with the plecos
The royal gets 12+" & is aggressive towards other similar fish & bottom dwellers
The sharks need more of a longer swimming room rather than taller

Fishy Aston said:
Yes its your tank dude :cool:

IMO , Your royal may become aggressive and will not like other bottom dwellers such as corys or other plecos. I would make sure there is enough visible algae and if not add some veg or wafer as he will clean one of you windows very quickly :)

I hope you enjoy watching your Royal Pleco , I am buying one soon just need to save up as they are the most exspencive pleco I have ever seen! £25 , How much was yours

Good Luck With Your Tank (y)

I feel bad for that future royal pleco already :(

I can't comment on the stocking because I haven't kept any of these fish - but I would like to see a picture of your tank! :)

Like I said before learn your species before you comment.bad advice is unfortunately the cancer of all things in a hobby and most people just go to an LFS and trust the idiot there who will recommend any fish to any uneducated person on that particular species.

I haven't set up my 55 gallon because I've been reading and asking questions and getting positive and negative feedback. You don't see me giving bad advice on peoples stocking inquiries. If I don't know I don't say or I'll ask someone or google articles on that fish and learn a little more,.

This may not be YOUR thread but your knowledge on your own tank should be a big light bulb above your head telling you that you need to FIX your tank before you give an opinion on someone elses so they don't end up in the same situation your in

Guys what I say is IMO

And a few others have said it is not overstocked

Others have.

No need to disagree and have personal attacks on what I say.

Some people base opinions on quantity of fish or potential size of fish and behavior patterns. Sharks have the potential of being overly aggressive, the pleco will outgrow the tank.

These are FACTORS we all take into consideration when building a community. People need to get the misconception out of their heads that just because it's SMALL now my undersized, underfiltrated tank is a good home for it. Animals will still grow internally and not externally which causes stunting and deformaties . How is that fair to the fish? What if someone did that to you. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it.

Guys, I think you'll find this tank and this stock has bee changed. The OP has other tanks set up and has suffered disease outbreaks. The tank in this thread is incorrectly stocked and she's aware of it. The threads 4 months old!

Wow! I never knew half these posts were made. Or that so many people responded. Otherwise I would've "chimed" in. Update on the tank in question..it no longer houses any sharks, parrot fish or even my dragon fish. In the time since my last posts I've set up four other tanks,torn down two of them, rehoused several fish and went back to the basics of RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH! So in the short of it I currently run four tanks. One is my "passive" community tank aka Troopers Castle, one is strictly for my Malawi cichlids, another for my dragon fish (brackish) and my QT. It broke my heart to learn the lessons in the hope that there was a possibility of success with some of combinations I chose. (Based on poor "assvice" and not enough research.) Live and learn :)

Back
Top Bottom