Visitherm Stealth heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so my Hagen Tronic heater crapped out the other day on my 55 so I took the plunge and bought a Visitherm Stealth. I love it and it is keeping the 55 a nice toasty 79 degrees, but my question is.....since the Stealth doesn't have a red light, do y'all just keep an eye on the thermometer in the tank to make sure it's still working or what?

How I noticed the Hagen heater wasn't working initially was the fact that the red light wasn't coming on as often as it had been. I had the 55 thermometer in another tank. I stuck my finger in the tank and WOW was it cool. 8O I went and got the thermometer out of my 29 and the temp had fallen from 80 to about around 72-73. 8O 8O So, I bought a new thermometer for the 55 and the Stealth and slowly corrected back up to 79.

Anyway, do y'all just watch the therm. to judge if the Stealth is working??

It's always a good idea to keep a check on the temp. Just because the red light is on doesn't always mean it's actually heating properly. Also, if that's what you monitor, peeking and seeing the light on could be an indication that the heater is stuck in the on position, which will overheat your tank.

That's true!!! I never even thought about that, Usually, I watch for a minute for it come on, or, if it's on, watch for it to go back off. I stare at all my tanks a lot. LOL It just seems strange to me, seeing as how I pay such clse attention to my heaters red light (mesmerizing...lol) that this heater doesn't have one......I feel robbed. hehehe I now have thermometers in all tanks that I watch closely after this latest incident.

I have the stealth in my 55 also, and just check the thermometer regularly. Like neilanh said, just because the light is on, it doesn't mean all is well. I've never had a problem with the stealth. It's a great heater, I'm sure you'll be happy with it's performance! :)

I check my 55 every morning when dosing for ferts. I touch the glass and can tell if it's too cold or too warm. Sometimes if I'm feeling "off" I'll check the thermometer The others are checked at feeding time.

I have a Visitherm Stealth 250W in a 58 gal tank. You need a thermometer to check temperature. The temperature adjustment on the heater is not so accurate, it also depends on your room temperature. When I set at 68F, the tank actually is around 76-78F. My room temperature is around 70-74F normally. I guess the heater is not running much.

Right now, I raise the tank temperature to 86-87F to treat ich, I adjust the heater to 84F and the temperature in the tank is stabilized at 86-87F (I use very accurate lab glass thermometer). I know the heater is working and I see many bubbles on the heater.
When my room temperature is 66F, the tank has 86F; when my room temperature is 72F, the tank temperature is 87F.

I have a Rena Cal Top Light and it has kept my temperature where I want it to be since the day I bought it (Saturday). It goes on and off a lot, a little too much for my liking actually, but it is keeping the temp exactly where I want it so I don't see it as a problem.

I have a Stealth too and periodically check the thermometer to make sure all is well. It says on the package that it's accurate to one degree and I've found that to be true. Since my apartment runs COLD (BRRRR!), I keep it clocked at 78 so the temp is around 77.

I stare at my tank (only have one so far) a lot too, crazyred. :)

Isn't that what fish tanks are all about :). Hell, I don't even have fish in mine yet and look at it constantly.

Back
Top Bottom