Wacky/ cool fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what cool fish are out there for tropical aquariums, that are abnormal, cool or just wacky lol.

Could you guys post pictures of the fish...

I'm just curious, I'm currently stocking a 29g semi aggressive....

The coolest thing I've seen (bought) so far is ghost catfish.

The fish you guys post don't have to be for the 29g but I'm just curious, I like weird wacky things lol.

Attachments

• image-1582872635.jpg
    image-1582872635.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 163
i do love my kuhli loaches
img_2627913_0_3425a364f8943a78e253478e2d9b5717.jpg

Those would destroy the ghost cat, and they aren't... out there....

Look for killifish, elephant nose, or a ram of sorts.

Ah, I meant without the glass cat. Those are schooling fish that should not be with tiger barbs or semi-aggressive fish anyway. Not a lot of options for "wacky" fish in just a 29 but convicts are one that can do ok with tiger barbs. I do consider them "cool" however, as per the OP's request. Elephant noses would need a much bigger tank.

Edit: just noticed the OP did not mention tiger barbs, just going off her stock in her other recent thread.

Ah, I meant without the glass cat. Those are schooling fish that should not be with tiger barbs or semi-aggressive fish anyway. Not a lot of options for "wacky" fish in just a 29 but convicts are one that can do ok with tiger barbs. I do consider them "cool" however, as per the OP's request. Elephant noses would need a much bigger tank.

I had my tiger barbs in with neon tetras and they did fine. And when researching the glass cats a lot of people say they do just fine in a semi aggressive tank. Also I have plants so there are lots of hiding spots.

Glass cats are just pretty timid fish. Competing for food against tiger barbs might be kinda hard for them or at the very least pretty stressful. There are certainly exceptions to the rule in regards to the tiger barbs but just as general advice it's usually recommended to be very careful when stocking with tiger barbs as tankmates.

Glass cats are just pretty timid fish. Competing for food against tiger barbs might be kinda hard for them or at the very least pretty stressful. There are certainly exceptions to the rule in regards to the tiger barbs but just as general advice it's usually recommended to be very careful when stocking with tiger barbs as tankmates.

Yeah I read that they are picky eaters. And don't eat flakes, but last night they ate the flakes fine, and this afternoon they gobbled up the blood worms, I am def keeping a close eye on them though.

Get a pair of rams. Provide them with a cave and they will breed. They are beautiful fish and take good care of the children. Have some guppies as dither fish. The rams can be very aggressive when they have fry.

With any luck some will grow out and you can sell or trade them to your LFS

African Leaf (NOT bush) Fish. Coolest fish ever. Will do great in a 29.

Knife fish like black ghosts, clowns, and African browns.
Elephant noses
Freshwater lion fish
Bichir
eels like peacock and tire track
Upside down catfish.
Featherfin catfish.

I don't think anything besides the upside down cats would be well suited for a 29, but they are definitely wacky!

True, but if you got larger, non aggressive fish, and angeld a piece of driftwood, I think it could work, they are interesting.

True, but if you got larger, non aggressive fish, and angeld a piece of driftwood, I think it could work, they are interesting.

My friends ax tried to take down a pleco i gave him in the same tank. They're much better in a species only tank, but I suppose if OP wants one, you're right there definitely is room.

African Leaf (NOT bush) Fish. Coolest fish ever. Will do great in a 29.

I have one! ;) my manager at petsmart said they're amazing. I really like it too. :) though someone once told me they can be pretty grouchy when they get bigger. Maybe I'll name it Oscar, like Oscar the grouch. :)

My friends ax tried to take down a pleco i gave him in the same tank. They're much better in a species only tank, but I suppose if OP wants one, you're right there definitely is room.

I have to admit axoltos are pretty amazing, but I don't want to risk my fish. Lol maybe some day if I had just a tank for them.

Knife fish like black ghosts, clowns, and African browns.
Elephant noses
Freshwater lion fish
Bichir
eels like peacock and tire track
Upside down catfish.
Featherfin catfish.

I don't think anything besides the upside down cats would be well suited for a 29, but they are definitely wacky!

Those are some pretty wild fish. :) yeah I looked into getting some upside down catfish, but I have to wait for the shipment to come. Lol so it's a good possibility in the future. ;)

Back
Top Bottom