wal-mart MURDERERS -poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

do you think that wal-mart should stop selling fish?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• still sell fish but hire confident staff to do so

• never been to wal-mart

• Total voters
The unfortunate thing is Wal-mart doesn't pay well, and most people with fish knowledge won't work there.

They pay better than most stores in the area. I won't say how much, but I make a double digit an hour figure. Not too bad for me. Other pet stores in the area pay WAY, WAY less. I've checked around.

Managing the fish is hard work, IMHO. Or not as easy as some people think it might be. Especially when you have fish AND bird, cat, dog, reptile, horse, seed, and many other things to deal with in a given day. To tell you honestly, WM is sorta stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hire someone soley for live fish (and have them stand around alot) or hire one person to take care of the entire dept.

It's also incredibly hard (atleast at my store) to find eligible people. I personally screen all my associates before I hire them. If you can't lift, learn things about fish, and have great customer service skills, then you shouildn't be there. In the past year, I've had one person helping me. Been alone most other times.

So, my point I guess is that not all WM's are this way, but it's darn sad that most are. I actually emailed my district manager the other day, inquiring about a district wide, or region wide fish supervisor. We'll see what he responds back to me with...

And for you people wanting to complain, please do! There are complaint forms at the customer service desk (or there should be). Utilize them. Write to the president, or store manager. They hate having upset customers, and will usually always try and fix a problem.

you think if we ask them that they would hire one of us????

cause i need a job :roll:

there was this one time i was looking at fish and i asked , do you have any female bettas, the wal-mart person replied yes they are right in front of you. I was like WHERE, she told me to lift my hand up and point to the tank in fron of me. There i saw an empty tank with emaciated, pale, and town flesh that were the female bettas. It looks like the put them in a blender before the put them up for sale. :x

well thats 2 years away DevilshTurtles

and 2 years(well almost 1 year) is really far away!

IMO, they shouldnt stop selling ALL fish..some fish i will buy from there, others i will go to petco/petsmart to buy them. walmart doesn't always keep the greatest tank conditions..oh, i know the lady at my local walmart, and she always asks about my fishes, and i was askin her about how they keep the water clean...THEY DON'T CHANGE THE WATER EVER!! i was so shocked. she never really gave me a real answer to why they don't.

I live in Alberta Canada and my boyfriend and I drove the hour and a half to walmart in Calgary and it was so bad that I phoned the humane society and after being given a couple of different number because no one cared, the guy told me that because they are just fish, he would have to think about it before he did anything. He wasnt sure it was abuse because fish are such a simple animal.

I want to know where they draw the line of when something is simple enough that you are allowed to starve it. They dont feed the plecos, I even asked, the chic working there told me they will eat all the crap the other fish leave behind. I felt like I should have explained that they dont eat $%^& they eat algea. Not only that, but in thier size tank they had 10 plecos and 4 angel fish. At what rate do they think food grows in a tank! I have decided that if I go in there again I am going to go grab some algea pellets off the shelf and feed them myself.

This topic makes me mad. My fish have personalities. I babied back to life my weather loach and no one can tell me that she was not feeling the pain and wasnt feeling sick. My fish are VERY UNtame and yet she now comes to the front of the tank to watch me watching them. She is not some simpled mided thing that you can just starve to death and expect it not to feel pain.

For the record, this is the second Wal Mart in differenct provinces that treats thier fish the same way.
*end rant*

I think I should go find a happy thread LOL

yea fish are NOT simple minded, if they are how come you can tame fish huh?

you can tame angelfish to eat out of your hands
they try to get your attention everytime you pass them
they know when its feeding time
and they take 'care' of their master

same thing goes for Lionfish

so walmart is GAY(sorry fishfreek but they are)

fish are not simple minded you should ask them if they have a cat, if they say yes tell them well dont feed your cat let her eat her own #$%@ and we can see how she is because cats are such a simple animal

(sorry JC i couldnt think of any other animal)

The two super walmarts I've seen around here actually seem to do a better job keeping their tanks up than some of the LFSs around here. I havent seen any oscars there in a while, though, but when I did, they always had their own tank. I'm sure that just like any LFS, some of walmart's pet departments don't have the best staffing, and that can make all the difference.

THEY DON'T CHANGE THE WATER EVER!! i was so shocked. she never really gave me a real answer to why they don't.
well

why dont they

let us know

They have to...nothing would be living if they never did. Unless they just change the filters, and stir the gravel? But still....

I change mine once a week (sometimes twice, depending) and it's still so horrible after 7 days I have no choice but to clean them. Perhaps she was saying that SHE never cleans them?

Toker95 said:
*my* two cents...
Anywho, *I* think WalMart should be forced to partner with a LFS in the area. That way a fully knowledgeable and caring employee of a LFS can monitor and care for the fish in sickness, and could probably supply Walmart with the fish themselves. That way walmart isn't stocking tanks with oscars, but filling them with pretty variations of guppies, goldfish, mollies, danio's and assorted other hardy, good first-tank fish.

A partnership would benefit both, first timers can get ultracheap supplies and fish at walmrt, the LFS gets the business from the people who stick with it and want to expand/upgrade past what Walmart can provide, and Walmart's image improves dramatically.

Ummm... You really may be onto something there... The latest trend in retail is what they call "store within a store" where they obtain franchises to help sell more product by brand recognition (ie: banks in grocery stores... MC Ds in Wal-Mart... Subways in gas stations)... Someone should convince them to get a deal to set up a PetSmart or Pet Supermarket franchise in stores. At least then they would have to live up to those store's standards in order to retain the franchise, and while they may not be the greatest chain pet stores their standards are miles above Wal-Mart's at least.

Australia doesn't have Wal-Mart and only pet shops and lfs have fish livestock. These are in pretty good condition apart from bad advice and high prices. I think in here there is a livestock trade policy...... Wouldn't it be great if there could be like a thing which aquarists could volunteer their time in the fish department of Wal-mart in return for an aquarium product/fish/plant? The more time you volunteer and the harder you work could earn you something of greater value.

Blucat said:
Australia doesn't have Wal-Mart and only pet shops and lfs have fish livestock. These are in pretty good condition apart from bad advice and high prices. I think in here there is a livestock trade policy...... Wouldn't it be great if there could be like a thing which aquarists could volunteer their time in the fish department of Wal-mart in return for an aquarium product/fish/plant? The more time you volunteer and the harder you work could earn you something of greater value.
Well, or you could just work there and use the money to buy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom