wal-mart trip.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well.. even though i dont like it, i went to wal-mart, and mosied over to the fish section. I saw something really sad, depressing, and digusting.. They had a tank full of dead corydoras, some that were still alive with no fins left even, and in it were a trio of puffers. Im guessing thats what did it. Either way it was really sad. this poor little cory was still alive and had absolutely no fins period. really sad v.v

and in it were a trio of puffers

That's impossible. Some customer had to have put them in there...I've had that happen before.

Puffers are not one of Wal-Mart's available fish to order...still, sad though. How were the rest of the fishies?

Well the wal-mart kid here knows nothing. I wouldnt be surprised, ive seen all kinds of fish that walmart never stocks. ive seen a snowflake eel in there once before, but it was brought to the managers attention. All of the other fish were okay in the other tanks i suppose, cept for the usual dead ones sucked up to the filter. I was amazed at how many oscars they had... or even worse how they were stocked like feeder goldfishes at petsmart. They hardly had any swimming space at all. Once again, some wal-marts are great for live-stock and some arent. The only reason i go to walmart is for cheaper food and they sell sea-monkeys.

Devilishturtles said:
and in it were a trio of puffers

That's impossible. Some customer had to have put them in there...I've had that happen before.

Puffers are not one of Wal-Mart's available fish to order...still, sad though. How were the rest of the fishies?

They sure are in every Wal-Mart I have been in over the last few years....in fact, I have seen the same puffer-cory combo in a local Wal-Mart.

were the corys all torn up? The puffers werent young though, maybe thats why, they were a good inch or so.

Wal-Mart should not sell fish the way they treat them, i think laws should be established enforcing the humane treatment of fish....But i wont get into that thissubject has been throughly hashed in other threads.

JMHO

Yeah.. Some walmarts are good some are bad. Its a tricky subject all together.

The Walmart in my area is pretty good with the fish. It is a fairly new store though, so who knows what will happen later on.
I've also never seen a puffer at a Walmart.

Wal-marts get their livestock from regional vendors, unlike the rest of thier dry goods which all come from the same place.
Thus you'll see some regions with different fish choices.

What you saw were probably leopard spotted puffers, which are actually brackish, being kept with the cory's. Bad treatment all around.

You can get brine shrimp way cheaper at your lfs. If you like hatching them yourself, San Francisco Bay Brand has Brine Shrimp Hatchery and Shrimpery kits too.

Well All my lfs's are way to expensive, as they only sell adult brine shrimp for i believe they come in little bags for ten bucks. not exactly a efficient way to sell brine shrimp? Besides... seamonkeys are awesome

Never seen them either. One wallywolrd near me won't carry livestock anymore. Guess it got that bad. The other one I visit is as clean as my best LFS. *shrugs* Not much we can do about it but not buy fish from them.

aren't we all? Some wal-marts take excellent care of their tank, some don't.
tis 50/50

I don't know if I'd say it's 50/50, I've heard much more bad of Walmart's tanks than good.

My experience with wal-mart fish is bad. i dont recommend wal mart for fish. they are always sick in the wal mart out here. if you get a fish from there your whole tank will be ick infested.

Back
Top Bottom