walmart fish and petsmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Petsmart and Petcos are like Burger Kings.

Some of them taste great, others are sloppy and disgusting.

depends on the store.

By the way, the BK in Bethel CT is the best BK i've ever been to in my life. :D

It all varies from store to store. I've seen some Petco's with a great fish department and I've seen one's that have ich and dead fish in every tank. The petsmart in my area seems to be doing pretty well to. Rarely do I see a dead fish and I don't think I've ever seen ich.

Wal-mart has it's fair share of dead fish but I've never seen any ich in the tanks.

I think alot of it depends on the manager of the aquatic department.

I have to agree, my local PetCo has a decent selection, and healthy fish, I have bought all of mine from them and have never had a problem or had to go back because of an issue.

It does depend however whom you speak to about certain topics as there are just as many knowledgable as not in this environment. I asked one person if they stocked Bio-Spira and he looked at me like I was speaking pig Latin.

Avoid Wal-Mart for the most part and shop a good lfs they need the $$$ and if they are knwoledgable and friendly i would sya shop only their.

Dan :)

i used to work for a petco. i hated it!! the managers had a top aquatic guy and me in aquatics. i learned some stuff from the guy but he was the only one allowed to clean the fish tanks and feed them. i was upset about that because there was too many fish tanks that needed cleaning and feeding. they had me do all the dirty work like cleaning the back room and helping customers and what not. i'm glad i'm out of there. i just wished i applied at a LFS, i could have learned a lot more under their wing.

I've bought all my fish from Petsmarts in the area. All their tanks look pretty well kept and the folks working the fish department seem to know at least a little bit about the fish and plants they sell. The Walmarts in my area, though not as nicely kept as the Petsmart tanks, are not too shabby. I've got no complaints with either stores (around here at least).

Mmmm....burger.....

I only buy fish from my LFS with the exception of once buying a dwarf cichlid at the local Petsmart. I do go to Petsmart to sometimes get supplies my LFS doesn't have and to compare prices. My experience has been that my LFS has better and healthier stock. The fish are usually bigger and surprisingly less expensive than the ones I've seen at Petsmart. I know the owner of the LFS and he has loaned me books (and vice versa) and even given me free fish once in a while. They buy fish and plants from me that I have raised and will special order plants and supplies I request. Petsmart won't special order anything. I wouldn't ever consider getting fish from Wal-Mart based on the appearance of the fish department in the store closest to me.

I was really thrilled and surprised when I went to one of my local WalMarts the other day. They had one tank filled with fish that had ich and a sign that read,"Not for sale. Under observation." I was proud.

I buy fish all the time from my local walmart. The person in charge of the fish dept is very knowledgable and is actually looking at opening his own store.

On the other hand another Walmart that is about 30 min away has the worst section I have ever seen. One tank had so many dead fish in it, it was probably 5 dead fish for every living fish. Very Horrible!

Back
Top Bottom