Walmart Fish Petition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am working on putting together a petition against walmart selling fish at change.org. Any input that you guys think that should go into the petition will be greatly appreciated and I hope to have it up soon, thanks.

Don't write it so it sounds looney, but more practical and reasonable... make it down to earth. I don't disagree with a lot of animal rights activists, but I am usually turned off by how they present their case.

Also, are you petitioning them to stop selling fish entirely? Or just better treatment of live animals?

Good luck and let us know when the petition goes live!

Don't write it so it sounds looney, but more practical and reasonable... make it down to earth. I don't disagree with a lot of animal rights activists, but I am usually turned off by how they present their case.

Also, are you petitioning them to stop selling fish entirely? Or just better treatment of live animals?

Good luck and let us know when the petition goes live!
Don't worry, I understand what you are saying and will just state the facts. In my experience, I believe that they will probably stop selling fish entirely over giving them better care. I can't even believe that they are even making money because of the amounts of dead fish they have, and then others that no one wants to buy.

Don't worry, I understand what you are saying and will just state the facts. In my experience, I believe that they will probably stop selling fish entirely over giving them better care. I can't even believe that they are even making money because of the amounts of dead fish they have, and then others that no one wants to buy.

Yeah, no kidding. I walk by their fish section and leave shaking my head. I can't imagine it making any profit, but then again, it is Walmart... they may sell cheap stuff, but they aren't dumb. That company is a viscious profit generating machine.

From all the reviews about walmart, it was a one star review for their pet section, every review said that they bought the fish in order to rescue it from the horrible conditions that it was living in, not because they wanted a pet.

I cannot agree more. I went to a Walmart in Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania, and I was completely appalled. I counted over NINE dead fish in one tank. Nine!! Plus, there was a dead betta fish in its cup sitting right in front with yellow water! I was disgusted, and I confronted the manager who could not have cared less. He got so angry and had such an attitude, probably that he was being confronted by a 14 year old. I called the place a few days later, and they gave me the same guy!! So obviously, at least at this Walmart, they do not care about the well being of their fish. I just don't understand why they feel the need to sell fish! They already earn enough profit from everything else that they sell! But, that's just my opinion. In other words, I will most certainly support any petition against Walmart selling fish! :)

Khloe

From all the reviews about walmart, it was a one star review for their pet section, every review said that they bought the fish in order to rescue it from the horrible conditions that it was living in, not because they wanted a pet.

I've often gone back and forth about rescuing some fish from Walmart. I usually never go back to the "fish section" anymore, but I know that I'd probably leave with a couple of fish that were in terrible conditions (which is actually practically all of them). The only issue is, it would be basically giving Walmart money for mistreating these animals. It's a tough choice: Save the fish you see or save the fish that could be here in the future? I wish Walmart would just realize that there's no need to sell fish! :(

Khloe

I've often gone back and forth about rescuing some fish from Walmart. I usually never go back to the "fish section" anymore, but I know that I'd probably leave with a couple of fish that were in terrible conditions (which is actually practically all of them). The only issue is, it would be basically giving Walmart money for mistreating these animals. It's a tough choice: Save the fish you see or save the fish that could be here in the future? I wish Walmart would just realize that there's no need to sell fish! :(

Khloe

I tend to lean towards not buying a fish for the sake of rescuing it. If everyone did that, then it would just validate Walmart's continuation of selling fish (this would also apply to mega chain pet stores). They wouldn't know or care why people were buying the fish. They would just see that they are making sales. This would have 2nd and 3rd order effects through their supply chain as well. As long as Walmart is buying fish in large numbers, there will be a demand to continue to imbreed, raise and ship fish in large numbers which will excacerbate the problem.

No Walmart around me even sells fish. They have pet products but no livestock, we're too classy in Kentucky WalMarts to do that.

I agree with the suggestion though to not make it sound crazy, and even when you say you're just stating facts that can begin to feel preachy and crazy. Choose two or three solid points and expand on them. I'm a vegetarian and when people ask me why, when I start listing the facts even I'm listening to myself and thinking "god shut the f up hippie."

I'll help out, but realize that there have been a million of these petitions and if the business wasn't lucrative they wouldn't continue doing it. Not saying that it's pointless to do, just don't get your hopes up that anything will change.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Pretty sure there have been many petitions started on this so you'd hardly be bringing up a new idea. Would say it's better for you to spend your energy thinking of a creative way (Ice Bucket Challenge, etc) to bring attention to an existing petition that has some signatures already so you're not starting from scratch.

Pretty sure there have been many petitions started on this so you'd hardly be bringing up a new idea. Would say it's better for you to spend your energy thinking of a creative way (Ice Bucket Challenge, etc) to bring attention to an existing petition that has some signatures already so you're not starting from scratch.

Yes, I know many have been started and even if it hasn't stopped, I have seen cases of specific walmarts that have stopped. Just another to add to the possible hundreds that are out there trying to drill it into their brains that this isn't right.

I have never been to Walmart, and never intend to for precisely that reason. I looked up my state's animal cruelty laws, and there is NOTHING, no laws protecting fish whatsoever, unless they are purposefully killed. And by that time, it's too late to do anything for them.

It's been signed!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My store actually takes good care of there fish. The employee that knows the most about fish, is always called back to help someone with fish when he is working, no matter what department hes supposed to be in.

Fishobsessed7

I know this sounds crazy, but the fish in my Walmart all seem to be in decent health (for a Walmart). The ADF are energetic and I don't ever see any dead fish in the tanks. Not saying I agree with a grocery store selling live animals, but my local one seems to have at least one employee that's care about them.

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

Yah, I titled the petition as take better care of fish or stop selling them so I am glad that your Walmarts take care of theirs.

No Walmart in my area has sold fish for maybe over 15 years now. I wasn't aware they still sold fish at all.

Back
Top Bottom