walmart makes me mad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not suggest sending that email. They'll probably just discard it after seeing the first line. You can't send things like that and expect anything in return. An email like that needs to be well written with proper grammar. It also can't just be all demanding and hateful like that. But hey, what do I know.

On another note, please keep this thread more appropriate. Our community rules specifically state:

This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community.

If people continuesto violate this rule, the thread will be locked.

Maybe if you went at it from a re-training angle? Just sort of say that you had noticed that some of the fish were in a bad way and suggest some steps that they could take to improve the situation. I appreciate that you feel strongly about this, I think that everyone on the forums feels that way about fish but an all out attack isn't usually the best way to be heard. You have to listen harder to people who talk quietly.

In no way am I standing up for Wal-mart I'm just letting you know the reality and inner workings.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Wal-mart is literally a retail juggernaut, writing letters to executives isn't going to do much. The letters get passed down the line to a store level and all that is done is the management reads it and let's the higher ups know they are aware of the problem now. The company has sadly drifted away from what Sam Walton had originally built for himself.

That being said Wal-mart as a whole is downsizing and eliminating the sale of live fish do to the fact of high loss vs low profit. Each Wal-mart remodels/expands every 4-6 years and it is during that time they remove/downsize the fish area. New stores that are being built are being built with out the live fish.

As far as reporting Wal-mart to animal welfare groups, won't really do any good. They have a team of super lawyers that could get a man off the hook for murder even if he killed the judges own mother in front of him.

Sorry for the novel, just my $.02

Homedog98 said:
Thank goodness they outlawed wal-marts in GA from selling Fish. That's horrible!!!

I am not saying I don't believe you as I am not to familiar with Georgia state laws but I can almost guarantee there isn't one directly targeting Wal-mart. They probably put some new law in place where special permits or something of that sort were required and Wal-mart decided it wasn't worth the money/effort so they just pulled the fish.

On a side note I'll have to look into this, obscure state laws are always interesting.

I find the easiest solution to this is to never buy fish from them and that also includes Petco, PetSmart and even some LFS that advocate the improper care or keeping of fish.

If you don't let them profit from bad practices, they'll eventually give up because for companies like Walmart (et al), profits determine what you see on the shelves and in the tanks.

Mr. Limpet said:
I find the easiest solution to this is to never buy fish from them and that also includes Petco, PetSmart and even some LFS that advocate the improper care or keeping of fish.

If you don't let them profit from bad practices, they'll eventually give up because for companies like Walmart (et al), profits determine what you see on the shelves and in the tanks.

Well put, +1

I think you would be surprised to see that your lfs has the same issue. But they tend to their tanks and make sure you don't see the ugly stuff. Walmart has a person that comes in maybe once a week and clears the dead. If that happened in your lfs, it would look the same. A good friend of mine sells most, if not all the fish to walmart, meijers, target, petco, petsmart, etc... He takes very good care of millions of fish and has very little loss. Thats why they buy from him. So the fish are taken care of up to the point of sale to the retailer. Then the retailer hopes to only hold onto fish for a couple days at most to move responsibility to you the consumer.

While complaining might get someone to clean out dead or dying fish sooner, it will not stop sales. Only stop buying. Like said above, stop buying and they will stop selling.

But I agree. I dont like seeing the way they keep fish. It makes people who know nothing think it is easy and requires no effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom