walmarts fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I ever get up there i'll chech it out.

When I went to the one in appleton I was like WTF!?!
They had 60 bajillion pacus, 3 types of catfish, 3 tanks full of ghost shrimp, dragon gobies........all we have here are cichlids and livebearers.

I hate but also like they're fish of the month. My mouth dropped whenI went there yesterday. They were selling dragon gobies... I was like NOOOOOOO!
Nobody who buys one is going to know how to care for one. those things were gone right away, it's whats to be expected when something like that comes in and it's 5 dollars.....

Tomorrow i might get some lol.

flamingonhot said:
Half of the time the fish dude isn't even there. I have to go and get someone from gardening who can't tell an oscar from a clawed frog......

Even when the "fish dude" isn't there he doesn't understand you or doesn't talk, very unsociable little person lol.

Our Wal-Mart's tanks don't seem inordinantly bad to me, but I really hate having to chase down some poor lady from gardening that doesn't speak English and make her try to get me the fish I want. It takes forever and is unpleasant, and I often don't end up getting the one I want, anyway.

So this last time, I said 'to heck with this!' and just went back there and got the fish out myself. It's not like it takes special skills to write the fish number on the bag, and this way I got to put the amount of water and air I wanted in there, and most especially I got to catch the fish I wanted. I understand that people in general doing this would be a Very Bad Thing, but I'm not people in general, and am pretty confident it's better that I do it than their poor hapless makeup-center employee.

You must be up in the capitol, then. Down here in the Old Pueblo, the fish departments are pretty nasty. I wouldn't buy fish from there. Bleh.

The fish department here is fairly good. I went several weeks ago. I saw 2 dead fish (both in the feeder tank) the other tanks looked healthy. I bought 4 ottos, all of which are thriving now. They also have some beautiful mbunas I was looking at...

Don't you hate the systems we have. On the weekends especially, if you have lazy idiots like I do in my department, that dont know how to use the meds, it spreads wickedly fast and then comes monday, and it is almost too late, or too late anyway. So, does your suppliers send terrible fish too. I mean like when you order something and they come in sick, and the next month or so, you get the same things in sick? Like I said about my oscars.

Flamingonhot, those dragon gobies are quite cool too. We use to carry them a few months ago by me, and we were charging 9bucks a piece. Then when they came in on friday I saw that they dropped the price to 6 bucks. I was shocked. And a little happy too. I plan to get one this or next week myself.

they're oscars are so sad. They had ten the other day in a 5 gallon with some tinfoils......

Here it isn't like OMG! look at all the disease ridden fish! but it's still pretty sad. I dont see how they can sit there and watch a knifefish get chomped in half by a cichlid.

I would just get the fish myself but they have 3 cameras right above the fish department.....

The fish are usually good but walmart traumatizes and gives them diseases they shouldn't even be usually having. I mean when you mix goldfish and tropical fish with one filtration system your going to spread different pathogens around. Goldfish have some different pathogens that most tropical fish would never get otherwise. A while ago they had an angelfish with a huge case of fish lice......

Im going to complain if they get something like puffers here.... if you cant tell a chorydora from a chinese algae eater then i dont think your fit for puffers or something like that.

lol. The guy kept insisting it was an algae eater..... The only good thing was that the chorydora was 5 dollars and the cae was a dollar lol.

They sometimes mistaken pacus with silver dollars all the time too. How do you mistaken them? When they have a pic and are in a seperate tnak? lol

This irks me. Today I got to work after a couple days off(thank god for vacation time) and there was a letter from one of my afternoon girls. The letter said that some lady came in wanting some blueberry oscars. I can't not order them. But I feel sorry for those fish and for the poor fool who buys them. I can't wait to see her tommorrow.

My wal-mart isn't that great, but then again the people that work in that department do know what the fish are :roll:
The thing that really irks me is the treatment of the bettas. I understand that it is very hard to keep bettas, and the small jars are most efficient. I wouldn't expect a company to care about its actual needs when they plan on selling them as soon as they get them for the profit. What realls irks me is when I bought my betta, Johnny.
Now you are all saying " Don't buy from a bad pet store because you feel sorry for the fish"
..Well.. I did.
The jar was disgusting, there was stringy stuff growing on the surface of the water, I tried to bring it up with the manager he just said he was busy, rolled his eyes and moved on.
So, I did the most awful thing!!!!!!!!!! I bought the betta.
I convinced my mom to let me get a one gallon, and the betta, and nursed him back to health in such. I didn't use any meds cause there was no reason!
All he needed was good water quality! I don't think thats too much to ask for, out of the pet department.

My petsmart rox my sox, with how well they take care of their fish though.

also-- My betta is now in a nice roomy five gallon tank for the winter months and is enjoying it very much, His fins are no longer shredded nobs, but actual long, flowing fins. All it took was good water quality.

OMG NO YOU DID NOT! lol,You stole my saying, rocks my socks lol.
My mom says it sounds dirty lol

Anywho, yeah I feel bad about they're fish, so bad I feel like rescuing them. And if you knew me you'd know that if bettas were cheaper and could be kept together they would ALL be gone from every pet store around here.

Not at my LWM (Local WalMart) lol. The mexican dude is really cool and knows alot about freshwater tanks, chances are there are never dead fish in the tanks and when their is, it is because he was off for the week end and the other lady (I cant stand) was there. He does experiments with the fish, he acually showed me pictures of "trained" betta males in the same tank not fighting of fin nipping. He said he just gave them time and added him in a bit then took him out when he was bad, put him in a small tiny place so he could have room to swim and like kids the betta learned, it was pretty interesting stuff.. I go there sometimes to talk and "learn" and share info then when ever I need something he hooks me up.

Back
Top Bottom