Want algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I kinda want algae in my tank so I can have a reason to have a algae eater :) and also I think my tank is suppose to have it and doesn't . I have 4 tanks in my room and none have algae! Is this bad? 2 of 4 have plants. 20G long ,29G ,55G and 10G

Just leave you lights on for like 15 hours a day. See if that works. You could also buy algae wafers, and give the cucumbers and zuchinni.

But if you dont need them thats a good things also. Just be happy you dont have to scrap the glass once a week and scrub all of your decorations once a month.

NYgiantsRP said:
Just leave you lights on for like 15 hours a day. See if that works. You could also buy algae wafers, and give the cucumbers and zuchinni.

I got algae wafers :) but will go to store for the veggies. If I leave my light on that long will it harm the fish? Forgot to add that part! One tank is by a window also.

NYgiantsRP said:
But if you dont need them thats a good things also. Just be happy you dont have to scrap the glass once a week and scrub all of your decorations once a month.

Do you have to do that? If so I recommend a awesome algae eater :) won't they get the algae off of everything ?

Nerite snails seem to do the job--the only bit of algae they haven't touched in my tank is on one anubias leaf and a light patch of green slimy looking stuff on the fake driftwood. I think it looks kinda neat--lends a dimension that makes it look more like real driftwood.

KaylNeko said:
Nerite snails seem to do the job--the only bit of algae they haven't touched in my tank is on one anubias leaf and a light patch of green slimy looking stuff on the fake driftwood. I think it looks kinda neat--lends a dimension that makes it look more like real driftwood.

Do they eat plants?? If not then could I get them at petsmart or my lfs? Thanks though.

Nope, they don't. They will eat dead parts of plants, but not live plants. As for if you can get them, I don't think Petsmart carries them, and I think Petco only carries the saltwater version. Talk to your LFS about ordering them--that's how I got mine. Recommended around 1 per 10 to 15 gallons. They work slow but steady--it was fun watching their progress ^_^

KaylNeko said:
Nope, they don't. They will eat dead parts of plants, but not live plants. As for if you can get them, I don't think Petsmart carries them, and I think Petco only carries the saltwater version. Talk to your LFS about ordering them--that's how I got mine. Recommended around 1 per 10 to 15 gallons. They work slow but steady--it was fun watching their progress ^_^

I think I can probably order them from somewhere. Might get around 3-4 of them :D thanks for all the info. Hope they aren't too expensive and I haven't even started having alage but will get some anyways. I like snails :) ones I have eat plants so got 2 mystery in unplanted tank.

They cost me a buck fifty apiece, but varying parts of the country may change prices. Once they finished with the algae, they moved onto algae wafers for the corys (mystery snail eats the same). I also have a bucket with stones in water with sun on it to grow algae on--put them in, once it's cleaned, take it out and replace it.

KaylNeko said:
They cost me a buck fifty apiece, but varying parts of the country may change prices. Once they finished with the algae, they moved onto algae wafers for the corys (mystery snail eats the same). I also have a bucket with stones in water with sun on it to grow algae on--put them in, once it's cleaned, take it out and replace it.

I have some algae wafer :) (for plecos and snails) $1.50 is good for me!!! Thanks for the advice for growing algae :) going to do most likely tomorrow afternoon !

Fishie said:
I got algae wafers :) but will go to store for the veggies. If I leave my light on that long will it harm the fish? Forgot to add that part! One tank is by a window also.

It'll probably irritate them (it irritated mine when i left it on a long time for my new plant) ..so maybe try keeping it on for a couple hours..then turn it off for a few..then back on..so on???

smileyface9 said:
It'll probably irritate them (it irritated mine when i left it on a long time for my new plant) ..so maybe try keeping it on for a couple hours..then turn it off for a few..then back on..so on???

Oh ok thanks I will try that!

KaylNeko said:

Nice rock in bucket in the sunlight idea!! :D

Thanks for the advice for growing algae :) going to do most likely tomorrow afternoon !

No problem. I think I learned it on here *lol*. My tank lights stay on for about 14 hrs--fish don't seem to care. Plants love it *lol* So does the algae. :D

KaylNeko said:
No problem. I think I learned it on here *lol*. My tank lights stay on for about 14 hrs--fish don't seem to care. Plants love it *lol* So does the algae. :D

Lol I learning a ton on here!!! Might just do on and off with lights my fish might get irritated easily. :)

I got lucky and jumpstarted the algae on the rocks by using the algaefied water from the dogs' pool >.> I swear, those mutts are crazy. They prefer the pool water to the clean stuff in their buckets.

Back
Top Bottom