Want interesting fish for 25 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
after setting up my 30 gallon with a 3d background and stocking it with 3 south american puffers. i have moved on to a 25 gallon that i am finishing a 3d background for.

now i would like some fish that i can put in there that are as interesting to watch as my puffers.

any suggestions?

p.s. i like color

schooling fish like tetras and rasboras are both fun to watch and a lot of them are colorful. espei rasboras are very cool looking. as far as tetras, i like cardinals, ember tetras, red phantom tetras, von rio tetras, lemon tetras, glowlight tetras, cochu's blue tetras. there are so many! i'm also kind of partial to rosy barbs, if you don't mind a slightly more aggressive fish (should be fine in bigger groups though)

Based on the info I can find on South American Puffers, you should move those to the 25g. They get around 3-4 inches and a 3g is not big enough for even 1 IMO. Not to mention they make alot of waste because of their diet so they need more water volume in that aspect as well. I would move them over and get maybe some shrimp for the 3g. Shrimp are interesting.

oops theres a typo.... my puffers are in a 30 gallon

Awesome....forget what I said above then. :D

You could do a pair of Apistos and some dither fish, like tetras. Apistos are interesting to me and the males are colorful. If you got a species like nijsseni or panduro, the females are interesting looking...more so than other species.

Or instead of tetras, if you want something a little less common, I have some Sundadanio axelrodi 'blue form' (not my pic). They are very colorful (well, bright blue) small fish that seem to work well with my Apisto (he ignores them).

Last edited:
Oh, I meant how do you want the "focus" of the tank. If you add something like cardinals with another colorful fish, it might take away from both (too distracting)

A pair of Bolivian Rams would be nice. They are pretty colorful. Or some German Blue Rams even. You could have those and a school of tetras or danios.

There's some pretty cool killifish on ebay. I've been wanting to get pencilfish (beckfords) but haven't gotten the chance. You could try rainbows or some sort of cichlid (gold rams look pretty cool) There's hatchetfish (a kind a tetra though)

Or make a theme tank. Like a S. American biotope or and Asian biotope with Vallisneria and blyxa and crypts.

Back
Top Bottom