Want lower PH fish--what are my options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really want to set up a 55 gallon freshwater tank with living plants, rams, tetras… Unfortunately, my tap water (after a 24 hour rest) is 8.2 pH, 16 KH, and 17 GH. For my 29H, 20 and 10 gallon tanks, I have been running the tap water thru a Britta filter (time-consuming!) which changes the water to 7.6-7.8 pH, 14 KH, and 13 GH. That practice isn't sustainable for a large tank. I am thinking of getting an RO system, but is that wise for a FW tank? I need advice from others with high pH water.

the general advice here is leave the pH alone, the fish will adapt unless you have super sensitive fish which requires lower pH. my pH 8.5, I have neon tetra, guppy, gourami, cory cats and betta, none are bothered by the pH.

I really want to set up a 55 gallon freshwater tank with living plants, rams, tetras… Unfortunately, my tap water (after a 24 hour rest) is 8.2 pH, 16 KH, and 17 GH. For my 29H, 20 and 10 gallon tanks, I have been running the tap water thru a Britta filter (time-consuming!) which changes the water to 7.6-7.8 pH, 14 KH, and 13 GH. That practice isn't sustainable for a large tank. I am thinking of getting an RO system, but is that wise for a FW tank? I need advice from others with high pH water.

you are fine with the PH you have, 95% of the fish sold are farm raised and highly adaptable to your water.

Even German Blue Rams? I am also wondering about plants (other than anubias, java fern, and java moss). You guys are giving me hope, though! It would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to just use my conditioned tap water.

Tap Water Chemistry

Hello Art...

If you keep the standard aquarium fish and not the rare species, you don't need to worry about pH, hardness or any of these things. They're not important, because the fish will adapt to the vast majority of public tap water supplies. Just treat the tap water for chlorine and chloramine and do large, frequent water changes. This is all you need to do to keep the tank water safe for your fish.

B

Ph is fine if its stable. Fish adjust to conditions. Do a drip acclamation if nessecerry when adding fish from a lower ph. I have a black ghost knife in 8.2. He loves it.

Back
Top Bottom