Want opinions on sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nextgeneration40

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know red tailed sharks are more territorial,but i love the color contrast,so....red tail or rainbow, what is your opinion?

If I could go back ... I'd go with a Rainbow Shark. Although I don't think they look as beautiful as the jet black with bright red tail of an RTS, RBS's are not as territorially aggressive as RTS's and generally are an inch smaller as mature adults. Besides the colors of both sharks is close enough.

Minimum size for RBS is 55gal .... IMO for an RTS ... a 75gal (although other sources say 55gal). If the RTS is for the 90gal, just ensure you create enough territories for it to claim using DW, rocks, caves, ornaments and plants. Caves and hollow logs seems to provide ideal places for RTS to hangout, BUT there's no guarantee it still wont harass it's tank-mates:brows:

Sorry for lack of info, on my phone...90 gallon tank,after fishless cycle...i want tiger barbs,cherry barbs (both groups of 8-12) and some type of catfish...

I had a rainbow, which I adored. Sadly, it outgrew my tank at a rapid pace, both in size and aggression, as it matured. I rehomed it to someone with 125 gallons to offer it.

Mine ate my danios, so I think you'd be good with the barbs.

I recommend for tanks no smaller than 75 gallons, judging solely by my own experience.

Thanks for the feedback, Lynda that suprised me I always heard danios were fast enough to escape most chasers in a tank (except each other)

Thanks for the feedback, Lynda that suprised me I always heard danios were fast enough to escape most chasers in a tank (except each other)

IDK about an RBS, but my RTS is surprisingly fast. It can easily catch up to any of my TigerBarbs. They are not the slow lumbering fish they appear in LFS's, so I could see an RBS putting a quick enough burst of speed to catch a danio.

Just a thought, I'm assuming that it caught, killed and ate LyndaB's Danios, but but she doesn't mention it killed them, just that it ate them ... possible the Danios died on their own and then were eaten?

I'm sorry for not being as clear as I could have. The shark stalked, chased down, killed and ate the danios, every last one of them.

currently i have in a 75 gal a rainbow shark with platies black skirt tetra tiger barb and gourami and he is nice he dont bother the tiger barbs

Probably because you have a 75 gallon tank. He's got room to stretch in there.

ya he is good but when i first got him i put him with my cichlids and most of them where alot bigger than him and he terrorized that tank my cichlids fear him to the point but since i transformed that tank into a planted and got rid of the pleco he became a really good guy

aslong as there is caves and places for him to claim as territory he wont bother any1 and every1 will be a happy camper

Again, as long as the tank is large enough. Mine had lots of caves and I redid the bottom level of the tank to suit his needs. But the tank was too small and the danios pushed him over the edge. He needed an outlet and they became his target.

Oh, and this was after about a 2 inch sudden growth spurt. Came out of nowhere.

Is a rainbow shark the same as a Bala?
I have a Bala, right now unfortunately in my 36 gallon with Platies and tetras. He was in a 29 gallon before we realized he needs a big tank. Hes been ok in our 36 and we definitely plan on getting a 120gallon here shortly for him. Hes starting to grow fast all of a sudden so we are getting tank ASAP. However he is such a friendly, fun fish to have. He plays with the others, comes to say hi when you go to the tank.. and eats like a pig! Just like the rest. We cant wait to get him into his new tank with other Balas :)

Nope 2 diff. Sharks but ya balas are very active I have 2 in a 125 they have fun. They deserve a big tank 

Again, as long as the tank is large enough. Mine had lots of caves and I redid the bottom level of the tank to suit his needs. But the tank was too small and the danios pushed him over the edge. He needed an outlet and they became his target.

Oh, and this was after about a 2 inch sudden growth spurt. Came out of nowhere.

Yep ... I can see that happening. Depends on the individual fish, but as a species both RBS and RTS's are unpredictable ... IMO. Every literature and source I've read says give them large (55+gal) tanks and plenty of territory and they wont bother anyone.

Somehow I don't think my RTS got that memo ... it can be a real terror ... but interestingly it only harasses it's original TigerBarb mates, all other Barbs in the tank it leaves alone ... at least for now.:D.

Back
Top Bottom