Want Tiger Barbs, but I'm Nervous!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of the fish that I really want to try in my 75 gallon is a nice large school of Tiger Barbs. By large, I'm thinking about 10-15, maybe a mix of Tigers and Albinos. As much as I really want to try them, I'm not sure if it's a wise choice because of the other fish that I know I'll be keeping. I'm planning on keeping some Gouramis (haven't decided if I want to keep dwarfs or large), some Rams (definitely Bolivian, may eventually try GBR), and my Sailfin Pleco will also be coming home from my office tank. Everything that I've read says that Tiger Barbs can be pesty fin nippers so I'm a bit nervous about this one.

Does any have any experience with keeping Tiger Barbs with Gouramis, Rams, and/or Sailfin Plecos? How was it?

I have alot of experience with them, your doing the best by keeping them in a large tank in large schools, this cuts the chance of fin nipping alot. but they do require certain things to be happy, some open space for them to swim around. plants for them to hide in and a bubble tube or stone to play in, they love those things, as far as the other tank mates go, you'll be fine as long as you keep a large school and make places for them to call their own ya know, good luck and no need to be nervous lol

I agree withy tropic, a large group of 6 or more and you should be just fine in a tank that size. They will most likely keep the chasing and nipping to themselves with a group and a larger tank. I had some with gourmais a while ago and no probs.

Not sure about the gourami, but they would be fine with the rest. I had my tiger barbs in with both my bolivian rams and german blue rams, and they did just fine. And if you get the tiger barbs, don't forget the green tiger barbs. :) Maybe 5 regulars, 5 albinos, and 5 greens.

The only ones I'd be worried about are the german blue rams. The bolivians will be fine, nad I"ve kept gourami and tiger barbs in a 75gal, no problems at all.

12-15 tigers will form a nice school. don't forget about green tiger barbs either :)

i keep 8 in a shoal, although now in their own tank (with a BN pleco) they never bothered my bolivian's, and they seemed pretty happy just to play amongst them selves! So i say go for it, the more the merrier :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I feel much better about trying Tiger Barbs. They're officially added to my stocking list! If it doesn't work, I can always bring them back to the lfs so I'll try 'em out. :)

As far as getting the Green ones, we'll have to see on that one. I saw them in person the last time I went to the lfs, but the Tigers and Albinos are much prettier to look at. I'm not so sure that I really want the green guys. We'll see though. I may still get them. Just to throw this out there, if I got 5 of each color would they all still school together or would they stick with their own color?

flipz said:
A good lesson in accepting everyone, no matter their race. ;)
:lol: That's not what I meant obviously!! :lol:

It just kind of fascinates me that fish know what they are. It's not like a Tiger Barb can look in the mirror and say, "yup, I'm a Tiger Barb". Kind of like Cories that like their own kind more than mixing with other kinds. They just know what they are. It's pretty fascinating to me. I guess it really doesn't take much to amuse me. :lol:

they know their enemies immediatley. Tiger barbs are kind of wimps sometimes. If you add them to an established tank, they might bow down more than you think.

my buddy had 3 tiger barbs in a 20 gallon, and one chased the other 2 all the time until both of them died. then he said after that the one remaining tiger barb just sat there in facing the same direction behind a castle for days before it died lol

I don't know if they are new or not (maybe it is just me), but the red glass (?) barbs are kind of interesting. I agree, green barbs aren't are pretty. My roseys school with my tigers and albinos.

Back
Top Bottom