Want to buy cleaner shrimp, have a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hiya, Id like to get some cleaner shrimp for my tank, and I have a few questions. First, how many should I get for my tank, second, will they live peacefully with whats in my tank already, and do I need to feed then anything other then what they can scavenge?

Size of tank: 30 Gallons

Tank Occupants:
2 Angelfish about 3inches long
6 tetras at 1inch
1 danio at 1inch
1 kissing gourami at 2.5inches
2 pictus cats at 3inches

Thanks for the info, id like ot run out to the store soon.

I have ALOT of algae on the back of my fake rock, the tank is in the sun for like half the day, thats why, algae builds up on everything, can you recommend anything?

This is my tank as of now.

You can see the algae on the rock and on the tank glass, its not too appealing visually.

Attachments

• dscn1176_161.jpg
    dscn1176_161.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 27
Yeah, I may get some of those. I was thinking about getting maybe 3 Otos, but I heard they are very suspectable to dying, and I dont know if my tank has the capacity for more fish.

That's not really a lot of algae, I have tanks worse than that. :lol:
A bristlenose or a rubberlip pleco will clean the tank up quickly, and keep it clean. You will need to feed it some spirulina wafers and occaisonally zucchini, etc. after the algae is gone, or it will starve. They also need some sort of cave to hide in, they're mainly active at night.

Lol yeah good one, I hear ya, definitely, Ive got one, just a pain in the ass sometimes, ya know? But thanks though. Now if you guys could help me out with my thermometer thread ;)

Otos are sensitive during the first few weeks but are supposed to be better after that...especially in an established tank. I have only bought two.. one died in the first 2 days but the other one seems happy. They are pretty fun and are so small that I don't think they would increaase your bioload very much. What about some mystery snails? They were receently recommended to me.

www.shrimpnow.com and www.petshrimp.com are supposed to be good sites for shrimp info

here's a picture of my bamboo. This is the one that snuck into the filter for a week. He's fine.

img_653169_0_ff8f4283417e2c24f72d9921bfb183c5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom