Want to start a Nano Aquarium for Shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warthog76za

Aquarium Advice Freak
So any advice would be appreciated was thinking of starting with a 20 or 30Litre cube, what I would like to know what would be the best varieties and I would like them to breed as well, if advice could be given down those lines as well.

This tank will be a Shrimp only and was then thinking maybe every now and then moving some into the main tank, if the breeding thing works out ok.

Thanks in advance (y)

Consider using some easy live plants - shrimp like them to hide in. Java moss would work well even with minimal light.

I would recommend starting with RCS if you want to learn to keep a colony. They are less finicky than other species of FW shrimp. They will breed readily if the water is even close to ideal.

If you want to breed the shrimp I would suggest getting Cherry Red Shrimp. They are very easy to take care of and very easy to breed. You could almost consider them the guppies of shrimp. A good website to check out is Red Cherry Shrimp .:. Neocaridina heteropoda sp. "Red Cherry" .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page It has a lot of good information about them.

Another good shrimp type are the Ghost Shrimp. They're a little harder to breed but they are easy to take care of. A good website for them is How to care for and breed ghost shrimp (glass shrimp), Palaeomonetes species, with pictures

Hope this was helpful :D

Is there anything I should do concerning water parameters, since the area I live in, has "soft" water, so for shrimp to I have to up that level to harden the water or leave things as is?

I started cycling my nano tank, to date I have added one of my old tank filter sponges as well as added some coral that has been in the old tank since January 2011. I am making a weekly water change to my old tank today and just wanted to know, if I should dump some of the vaccumed up gunk in the nano tank as well (not the water, just the stuff that settles at the bottom when you done syphoning the water out. Dont have the water parameters yet of the Nano tank, will do that in the next few hours and post them up on here.

I started cycling my nano tank, to date I have added one of my old tank filter sponges as well as added some coral that has been in the old tank since January 2011. I am making a weekly water change to my old tank today and just wanted to know, if I should dump some of the vaccumed up gunk in the nano tank as well (not the water, just the stuff that settles at the bottom when you done syphoning the water out. Dont have the water parameters yet of the Nano tank, will do that in the next few hours and post them up on here.

In general I never vacuum gunk from one tank and put it in another. I always start with the cleanest water. I will then seed the new tank with substrate and filter media which will help colonize the beneficial bacteria and speed up the cycle in the new tank. But the gunk you don't want in one tank is surely not the gunk you want in your new setup.

If your substrate will be the same in both tanks, you can sprinkle a handful across the bottom of your new setup. If they are different and you don;t want to mix them, just take that same handful and place it in a mesh or nylon bag and drop it in. :) You can do the same thing with you filtration by adding a second sponge fitted for your new tank filter to your established tank a week or more before you setup a new tank and simply move it to your new tank when you are ready. This way you give the new tank a jump start on the cycle.

At the moment the water parameters are:

Ammonia: 0,1
Nitrite:0,05

Will take some substrate from my old tank and spread it on the bottom on the new tank. Thanks for the quick response.

At the moment the water parameters are:

Ammonia: 0,1
Nitrite:0,05

Will take some substrate from my old tank and spread it on the bottom on the new tank. Thanks for the quick response.

Sounds like your cycles has started. The cycle should get a nice jump start :) ...it'll be over before you know it. I love shrimp tanks because they do such a great job of maintaining everything for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom