Want to switch from HOB to Canister filter..have some Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spm2600

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank setup is pretty new and from what I can tell still hasn't started cycling. That being said, I'm not going to rip out the HOB and throw the canister in place...I want to let it go for 3-4 months before doing anything. In the meantime I want to start purchasing what is needed so I'll have it ready to go.

I have a 36 gallon bow front with Aqueon "Quiet Flow 30"

Tank is stocked to about 110% per aquarium calculator

I'm looking at SunSun HW-302, seems to be perfect amount of filtration. I'm also interested in an inline heater, been eyeing Hydor, my current heater is 200w, the Hydor 200/300w heaters are same price so not sure if it's worth going for 300.

My questions...

The HOB is LOUD. Mostly just the water disturbing surface, but it's still loud. Does canister filter oxygenate water, like do I have to have the same disturbance on the surface? If not, is there some type of inline O2 injector? I'm just curious how quiet the HOB is compared to the canister, this tank is set up in our living room next to couch so it can get irritating watching TV while there is dialogue. I like where the tank is at, just need to figure something out.

Thanks!

Assuming your livestock doesn't have specific oxygen requirements, you can set the spray bar to agitate the water enough without splashing water. Canisters are usually pretty quiet, at least in the tank. How loud it is outside all depends on the pump that comes with the canister. I just recently got an Eheim Classic and it is only a low hum that pretty much disappears when the TV is on.

How highs the water level in the tank. My tank is in my room the hob can get annoying but it just means that I'm lazy and need to add more water every two days

I'm kind of curious. You said the tank is "pretty new", stocked to 110%, and hasn't started cycling yet as far as you can tell. Any specifics so we can tell if you are looking at trouble in the very near future? New as in days, weeks or a month or more? Did you put all the fish in at once, or build it up over time? It is quite possible to not be able to see a noticeable measurable cycle if you build up the population of tank residents properly. If you set the tank up and ran it empty for a while, then added all of the fish the day before yesterday, you will likely experience some issues quite soon. If it's been going for a couple weeks or more with fish in it and you still can't measure ammonia or nitrite, you very likely are in good shape.

As far as the canister filter goes, when you get it go ahead and set it up and run both filters for a few weeks if you can tolerate it. Your canister filter can build up it's biological filtering capacity in that time and you can safely remove your HOB filter then.

If you can't want to run the HOB after getting the canister you can swish/ring out/rinse all media in the HOB in tank water and pour that water into the canister. That should insta-cycle the canister, that is what I did when i switched to a canister

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you can't want to run the HOB after getting the canister you can swish/ring out/rinse all media in the HOB in tank water and pour that water into the canister. That should insta-cycle the canister, that is what I did when i switched to a canister

Or, as in my case, if you have enough space in the canister, just put all the old HOB media in the canister!

Or, as in my case, if you have enough space in the canister, just put all the old HOB media in the canister!

The only media i had in the HOB was filter floss. I destroyed it trying to really get everything out of it. I think I threw some of it in one of the trays too.

My tank setup is pretty new and from what I can tell still hasn't started cycling. That being said, I'm not going to rip out the HOB and throw the canister in place...I want to let it go for 3-4 months before doing anything. In the meantime I want to start purchasing what is needed so I'll have it ready to go.

I have a 36 gallon bow front with Aqueon "Quiet Flow 30"

Tank is stocked to about 110% per aquarium calculator

I'm looking at SunSun HW-302, seems to be perfect amount of filtration. I'm also interested in an inline heater, been eyeing Hydor, my current heater is 200w, the Hydor 200/300w heaters are same price so not sure if it's worth going for 300.

My questions...

The HOB is LOUD. Mostly just the water disturbing surface, but it's still loud. Does canister filter oxygenate water, like do I have to have the same disturbance on the surface? If not, is there some type of inline O2 injector? I'm just curious how quiet the HOB is compared to the canister, this tank is set up in our living room next to couch so it can get irritating watching TV while there is dialogue. I like where the tank is at, just need to figure something out.

Thanks!

Seems no one answered your question about the heater, so I will. I've got a Hydor 200W running on my 35g and it works fine. 300w would probably be overkill. The temperature dial isn't as accurate as I'd like, but that's what a thermometer is for. Some of the reviews I read said you could hear clicking off and on, but that hasn't been the case for me. One word of advice, make sure you buy the right size, it comes in 1/2" and 5/8". I almost made that mistake.

300w I would only use in like a 55g... I use a 150w heater in my 27g, a 100w heater in my 30 long, and a 200W heater in my 44g... So id say a 150-200w is fine for a 36g tank.

Also canister filters can airate the water if you just turn the spray bar up a little. I do that with mine and it makes no splashing noises as long as its further in the water and not spraying really high above...

Also you don't want to skimp out on a canister filter because its cheap and "has good flow" SunSun filters are rebranded filters.. If you look on amazon.com there are 3 or 4 of the same exact filter with a different name. The original one was Aquatop, then it went to sunsun and like two other names.. You wanna know why ? Because its a way for the cheap Chinese company to get out of a warrenty and have **** customer service.. They just switch brand names all the time..

Also look at review of these sunsun and the other brands of the same filter.. Not the new reviews of people going wow I just got it and the filter is awesome.. the older ones where people have owned them for 6 months or so... There are a lot of complaints of cracked canisters after awhile.. motor's going bad, the canister leaking a lot.. That and their customer service is non existant

Its a ****** absolute bare bottom canister filter.. Stay away from Sunsun, Aquatop and the other names under that white filter.

Get yourself a quality filter.. get an Eheim, Or cascade brand. Its true Eheim's are now made in China.. but its still a German Company and the quality is still there. Stay away from Marineland filters or top fin filters as far as canisters go because they seem to have issues with leaks as well.

As for how quiet Canister filters are.. Most people who don't know what Quiet is think canisters are dead silent.. That isn't the case, they are quieter then HOBS for sure but they aren't dead silent.. The quietest filter you will ever buy is an Internal Filter.. One that mounts inside your tank.. Water dampens pretty much all the noise of just about anything so a internal filter is as quiet as filters go.

But a canister being in the living room under the tank, you wont hear it at all.. I have a Eheim 2217 on my 44g pentagon and its in my bedroom.. I can hear it a little bit but its deff much quieter then my HOB was.. I have 3 fish tanks in my bedroom I removed all the HOB on them for Internal filters.. My 10g bowfront I use a Top Fin Internal 20 and its dead quiet I have to literally put my ear against the glass to hear it.. My 27g hexagon I use a Top Fin Internal 40, it too is dead silent.. My 44g pentagon I used 2 Top Fin internal 40's.. But since I have discus I needed more filtration and better control of ammonia so I got the canister.. I can hear it as soon as I walk in the bedroom but its more of a very faint hum noise.. Its hard to explain.. My 30g tank is in my living room with the t.v like yours and I removed the old duel tetra whisper 60 off the tank and put in one of those top fin 40's I took out of my discus tank.. Now I have a dead silent living room and im happy

Personally if you want absolutetly dead dead quiet I highely recommend the Top Fin Internal 40.. If you can handle seeing the filter inside your fish tank, then you will not be disappointed in how quiet it is.. The 40 also holds a pretty large amount of media.. 2 sponges, and a big chamber for Bio media which you can mix take half the media out and put in a fine filter pad above it or put in some purigen like I did.. It has adjustable flow, and a spray bar you can use to agitate the surface, and its pretty inexpensive.

Here isa pic of my top fin 40 in my 27g hexagon.. You can see it, but it really isn't that bad.. No diff really then having a spray bar on top of your tank and a long intake from the canister in the tank as well. I know people might go ooo man internal filters vs a canister sucks... True a canister holds more media.. but a caister filter is still much much much noisier then a internal filter is.. Trust me.. With 3 fish tanks in a 10x10 bedroom you need it to be absolutly quiet and the quietest filters I have ever seen are top fin internals.. The canister in my bedroom is tolerable but I can hear its hum

BTW Petsmart sells these filters

img_3194602_0_d5e601610a7fb38b4710cfd71915f95c.jpg

Switched from eheim to sunsun and found the sun sun just has good. tbo I find it easier to use and clean. Only complaint is cheap in take and outtake plastic. If it was same size as eheim would have used my old intake and outtake bars

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Switched from eheim to sunsun and found the sun sun just has good. tbo I find it easier to use and clean. Only complaint is cheap in take and outtake plastic. If it was same size as eheim would have used my old intake and outtake bars

Lemme quote you on that... cheap plastic you say ? Have you read the reviews of this filter ? The actual canister cracks overtime because the plastic is cheap... I wouldn't want 50 gallons of water on my floor because of a cheap filter.. Im glad yours is working fine.. but I wouldn't buy a filter from a Chinese company that switches names every 6 months.. Answer yourself why they do that ?

+1 on Ehim i run an Ehim Fluval 306 canister filter (70 gallon) on my 40 gallon breeder tank and i also run a Petco brand aerator and a Petco brand airstone and it all works fine and gets the job done and for the heater i got the Ehim Fluval 150w heater. I have not had any issues with my Ehim making noise at all. All in all Ehim is the way to go depending on your budget.

Lost my eheim due to cracked plastic

And the actual canister has extremely solid plastic

2215. Got it used with tank so not sure how old. I had it for a year and a half

thats the problem right there you don't know how someone else may have treated it before you got it for all you know they could have had it for 10 years and treated it badly before you got it.

Just think the sunsun is much easier to get the lid off and access inside of cannister. Plus do big inside compared to eheim so could put more media in. Plus only 60$

Back
Top Bottom