Want to switch to a bigger tank, have ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poneill272

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank, and I've been happy with it, but I want to move up to a bigger one. I'm looking at a 29 gallon, and I only have room for one tank.

Here comes the question, can I drain half of my current tank into the new one, put my fish in the new tank, then add the rest of the water from the old tank, followed by fresh water to top it off? Wouldn't the be almost just like doing a water change?

My plan for the filter is to run my old ondersized one, in tandem with a new one of the correct size for about a month, for bacteria purposes. Does that sound safe?

Thanks for the help!

Here comes the question, can I drain half of my current tank into the new one, put my fish in the new tank, then add the rest of the water from the old tank, followed by fresh water to top it off?
Yes. In addition to that do regular large water changes leading up to the transition so your tank water is close to tap water.

My plan for the filter is to run my old ondersized one, in tandem with a new one of the correct size for about a month, for bacteria purposes. Does that sound safe?
Yes.

There may be more options depending on what the new filter is. Which model are you planning on?

Plan sounds fine. You did not mention moving the substrate, which will most likely be a messy adventure. The fish don't have to go into the new tank necessarily; they can go into a holding bucket while you fill the new tank. Otherwise, dealing with fish swimming around while you are (re) setting it up can be stressful to them.

Back
Top Bottom