Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Wanted: Driftwood and Rocks

My tank is kind of bare looking. Where is a good place to get rocks and driftwood for aquarium use? I am looking for good size peices and interesting shapes. If you have any and you want to get rid of them, let me know.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This looks like an interesting place to look: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/subcat.asp?0=200
And lot's of people try ebay as well

Old 01-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

For rocks, I'd say just go hiking and see if you find some you like. Stay away from limestone and any rocks with metal veins. Also, if you have fish that need acidic water (lower pH) any porous rock will increase your ph. You can test rocks with vinegar and if it fizzes,you know it will alter the pH.

Driftwood is expensive at fish stores, but anywhere else it will either be a type of evergreen or coated. Evergreens have resin that can be toxic for fish, and in general you should stay away from unknown coatings. South African bog wood is very nice, but here it is $7/pound. I lucked out and a guy was downsizing his stuff because he was moving and I got mine for free.

HTH!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you're in Illinois, drive to the Dunes in Northwest Indiana. Awesome driftwood and rocks.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I just got some African driftwood from DrsFosterSmith. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&Ntk=All&Nty=1
I asked for a straight piece with no branches and that's what they sent! It came fast, within 3 days.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Give AquariumDriftwood.com a try. I ordered a standard center piece for a 55g and was very pleased. The prices are very reasonable. Beaware they only ship on Monday and you might have to call a couple of times to place your order. I think they might be a Mom and Pop buisness. Once your order is placed it will be shipped the next Monday. I received my driftwood packaged in a heavy plastic bag inside a cardboard box. The driftwood was wet and sunk right to the bottom of the tank.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
If you're in Illinois, drive to the Dunes in Northwest Indiana. Awesome driftwood and rocks.
I live in southern IL. That is a long jog. I will be able to pick some up when I go to MO for the canoe trip. My area is not rocking at all, hiking would not help.

I will checkout www.aquariumdriftwood.com .
Old 01-13-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

For your rocks, your Africans will really like calciferous rock so if you have a garden center or a rock quarry you can get all kinds of rock for so much cheaper than at the LFS. In your case you don't have to worry about it buffering the water, since you probably could use as much as you can get.

I have a LFS near me that carries gorgeous pieces of swahala wood, that is very dense and heavy and will not float, and contains very little tannins. It has a swirly pattern of dark and light wood, and it is my favorite.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

base rock would work great. hirocks.com has good price, know any other places that are better?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I went to a local LFS that is SW only, and he ordered me a 40-pound box of base rock for $1/pound. I did not think that was too bad. That is what I used in my 44gal ARLC - great stuff.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drift, driftwood, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com