Wanted: Participants for fishless cycling study

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wanted: participants for fishless cycle study.

A few members and I have been working on research and study to further our knowledge about the hobby and specifically cycling. Our end goal is to have the scientifically proven answers to some of the most common issues that newbies face when cycling their tanks, and to potentially dispel myths or disinformation that are associated with the fishless cycling process. To really do a thorough job, we need more tests and input than we are able to perform ourselves.

In pursuit of this goal, we want to recruit members to perform fishless cycles using a variety of parameters. If you opt to participate, you will be provided with instructions on how to perform your assigned cycle (it may be different than you are used to!). The instructions will be very clear and all you have to do is follow the directives and post your test results each day (or as directed) to the study thread. I’ll take care of all of the compilation of your data, just post your numbers.

All you need to participate in the study is:

• 1) A source of pure ammonia for dosing the tank

• 2) A standard API master test kit (or equivalent liquid test kit) & Dechlorinator

• 3) An empty tank of whatever size OR a clean bucket or container

• 4) An appropriately sized filter for the tank/bucket (a size you would use if the container had fish)

• 5) Fresh filter media (no seeded media)

• 6) A desire to contribute to the advancement of our hobby!

During the study, your dosing assignment may or may not ask you to:
1) Perform water changes
2) Add baking soda
3) Add fish food

As a part of the study you will be assigned a specific dosing schedule to follow. Not everyone will have the same instructions. Your job will be to follow the schedule and post your test results every day (or as directed). Overall the process should be relatively simple, and hopefully stress free since you’re not impatient for fish!

Obviously we want people to stick to your assigned schedule, but even if you’re not sure you’ll be able to follow through, please sign up!

Please leave your name in reply if you’re willing to participate. Depending how many people sign up to participate, I hope we can get started in about a week.

Thanks in advance for your contributions to our research!
If you’re interested in our research thread where we discuss the data we find in research papers, it is located here.

Signed up:
1. Scottyhorse
2. Flitabout

I will do it. It gives me a reason to start another tank. I wanted a small one for my bedroom! Scotty I can send you some ammo I have a freakin gallon of it! I can cycle tanks until the end of time! Just pm me your address.

Great!! Hoping at least 6 participants, as I'm envisioning 3 different "cycle plans" and would like at least 2 tests per plan

Jen im just wondering if the filter media size and type and container should remain constant?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know, I think that's out of our control... That's why I was at least requesting a filter that is sufficient for the tank by accepted standards, then it should be appropriate for the ppm of the dosage.
In the end it surely will not be as scientific as a lab test, but hopefully we will learn something?

I'm going to make sure all three of my tests are at least identical, so I will have consistency across my own samples

I wouldn't think we would want the same media/filters, because not everyone in the hobby uses the same filters/media.

Granted but if we record the results of the experiment with the same filter and size container. Future experiments could involve changes to filter size container size etc

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will join in. I have 3 different filters I could use, a HOB, in tank, and a sponge filter. Any preferences?

Should be able to run a tank. I have the 5 gal QT sitting empty with a small HOB to go with it. I hope to get along to the hardware store tomorrow or later in week and see if I can get some ammonia. The only other thing is I won't be able to run it inside so it will be in the garage which gets to about 35C or more. Is this OK?

Edit - also I only have the API master kit so I can't record very high nitrrite, etc?.

Should be able to run a tank. I have the 5 gal QT sitting empty with a small HOB to go with it. I hope to get along to the hardware store tomorrow or later in week and see if I can get some ammonia. The only other thing is I won't be able to run it inside so it will be in the garage which gets to about 35C or more. Is this OK?

Edit - also I only have the API master kit so I can't record very high nitrrite, etc?.

I would think we would want a constant temperature just for keeping things on a level testing ground.

However, if you wanted to test ranges outside of your kits test range then you can simply dilute the water. Add 10 ml of distilled water to 10ml of your testing water and then double the results. It'll let you measure higher levels.

I would think we would want a constant temperature just for keeping things on a level testing ground.

However, if you wanted to test ranges outside of your kits test range then you can simply dilute the water. Add 10 ml of distilled water to 10ml of your testing water and then double the results. It'll let you measure higher levels.

OK, well I'll see if I can pick some distilled water up just in case and get an idea of the temp tomorrow. If shops are open.

Thank you so much melosu and team.

We have 4 people signed up which is enough if I run some tests also, but hoping for 2 more.

Is everyone so far ready? We can divide up dosing plans starting right away, if so. Although give me maybe a day to agree on the 3 plans with Caliban.

Does anyone have any requests for what you get assigned? Basically some of the assignments may be slower than others. But maybe not. Kind of what we are hoping to find out, right? But if anyone is in a hurry like they need it for fish we can *try* to give you the fastest method.

I agree that at very minimum we need to homogenize the tank temperature.
Also Caliban and I have read (and this is even in the fishless cycle thread) that they grow better in the dark. So if everyone is able to do the experiment with no light, then we should.

Back
Top Bottom